ESTES Model #3022
For the Payloader II, Estes went back to the archives, pulled up old drawings and spec sheets and recreated this popular rocket that first soared onto the scene in the 1970’s. A clear payload section is just an added bonus to this great "Classic" making an appearance for the first time in many years. From the Skill Level 1 Series, in just a few short hours you’ll be launching just about anything you can think of in the clear payload section 1,000 feet into the sky.
- Length: 17″
- Diameter: 0.98″
- Weight: 1.2 oz.
- Fins: Laser Cut Balsa
- Nose Cone: Balsa
- Decals: Waterslide
- Recovery: 12″ Parachute
- Parts List
- Engine Mount Tube – 030326-1
- Engine Hook – 035021
- Adapter Ring – 030165-2
- Engine Block – 0303825
- Clear Payload Section – 030608
- Main Body Tube – 030456
- Main Fin Laser Cut – 066118
- Dorsal Fin Laser Cut – 066118
- Screw Eye – 038251
- bose Block Balsa – 070158
- Nose Cone Balsa – 070262
- Launch Lug – 038178
- Shock Cord – 038367
- Parachute – 035815
- Decal – 066120
- Recommended Motors:
- A8-3, B6-4, C6-5
- 12/27/2013 – Purchased Estes Payloader II from Estes for $2.69 (Retail $21.79).
- 05/29/2020 – Took pictures of package and components. Scanned plans & components.
- 05/30/2020 – Sanded balsa sheet. Measurements are in Book #4 Page #64. Made copy of shock cord mount & Tube marking guide on card stock. Glued dorsal fin to main fin.
- 05/31/2020 – Marked motor mount tube at 1″ & 2-1/2″. Cut a 1/8″ lot at the 2-1/2″ mark and inserted engine hook. Glued engine hook retainer at the 1″ mark. Glued fins to body tube.
- 06/01/2020 – Filleted fin joints. Glued motor mount assembly tube flush with aft body tube. glued screw eye into balsa bulk head and glued bulk head into clear payload tube. Glued launch lug 2-1/2″ from aft end of bod tube. Glued shock cord into shock cord mount then 2″ inside forward end of body tube. Cemented clear payload tube to bulk head. Tied end of shock cord to screw eye.
- 09/19/2022 – Spray painted nose cone with Krylon #8803 gloss banner red. Removed masking. from nose cone shoulder.
- 09/21/2022 – Masked all but forward 1/4″ of main body tube.
- 09/22/2022 – Spray painted 1/4″ unmasked area with Krylon #8803 Banner Red Gloss. Removed masking.
- 10/13/2022 – Applied water slide decals with the aid of photo cord as a guide. This completes construction of Estes PayloaderII model rocket #3022.