QUEST Model #1504
Bright, bold and rugged, the Astra III is one of our best selling rockets. Part of our QUICK KIT family it features a unique all molded plastic fin can assembly. It is a great kit with a one-piece molded fin unit. It requires a little more skill to assemble, but still goes together easy enough. In a group building session, Astra III can be built in about 45 minutes.
- Length: 13″
- Diameter: 0.98″
- Fin Material: Balsa
- Recovery: 14″ Parachute
- Parts List
- Motor Clip – 49000
- Thrust Ring Blue – 14000
- Motor Mount Tube Yellow – 10301
- Centering Ring (2) – 14050
- Balsa Fin Set Laser Cut – 33000
- Body Tube White – 11303
- Nose Cone Plastic – 20100
- Nose Cone Base – 20101
- Launch Lug – 10000
- Shock Cord White Elastic (18″) – 50011
- Kevlar Shock Cord Yellow (12″) – 50050
- Parachute (12″) – 28102
- Shroud Lines (3) (26″) – 50100
- Gripper Tabs (6) – 28001
- Decal Self Adhesive – 91502
- Instruction Sheet – 96002/06402
- Recommended Motors:
- A6-4, B6-4, C6-5
- 12/22/2008 – Purchased Quest Astra from Quest for $3.36 (Retail $5.59)
- 02/17/2022 – Took pictures of package and components. Took component measurements and recorded them in book #4 Page 104.
- 02/19/2022 – Marked aft end of motor mount tube at 1/2″ from aft and forward ends. Made a 18″ slot at the forward end and inserted engine retainer. Glued centering rings at each mark and filleted joints with yellow glue. Glued engine block into forward end of tube. Tied shock cord to Kevlar cord. Glued motor mount assembly inside aft end of body tube and fins through slots onto motor mount tube. Filleted fin joints. Glued launch lug 4″ from aft end of body tube along reference line.
- 02/20/2022 – Filleted launch lug joint. Tied shock cord to nose cone.
- 09/1/202 – Sanded balsa parts with 120 & 220 grit sandpaper and entire model with 600 grit sandpaper. Wiped model with alcohol wiper.
- 09/15/2023 – Spray painted entire model with Rust-o-leum #328373 High Gloss White.
- 09/26/2023 – Spray painted nose cone with Rust-o-leum #327898 Gloss Navy Blue and applied a second coat of Rust-o-leum #328373 High Gloss White to the fins. Paint peeled on nose cone and will require sanding and another paint application.
- 09/28/2023 – Sanded peeled paint from nose cone. Repainted nose cone with Rust-o-leum #327898 Gloss Navy Blue.
- This completes construction of Quest #Q1004 Astra model rocket.