ESTES Model #9705
The Mega Der Red Max launches on composite motors, has through the wall fin mounting (with wood being laminated over plywood for superior strength) and our quick release motor retention system (also sold seperately), just like the other Pro Series II rockets. Though massive looking, the construction of this kit is not difficult. Building and finish work can easily be accomplished over a few days. Sure to be a collector’s item, the Mega Max is just waiting for you!
- Length: 40″
- Diameter: 4″
- Weight: 31 oz.
- Fins: Laser Cut Plywood with wood laminating sheets
- Recovery: 30″ Parachute
- Altitude: 500′
- Recommended Motors:
- F50-6T, G40-7W, G80-7T
- 04/22/2013 – Purchased Estes Der Red Max from HobbyLinc for $59.89 (Retail $89.99).
- 12/08/2017 – Took pictures and scanned parts. Glued balsa sheets together to make skins for fins.
- 12/09/2017 – Traced core onto each of the six fin balsa skins and cut out with hobby knife.
- 12/10/2017 – Marked motor mount tube for the three centering rings.
- 12/11/2017 – Epoxied aft centering ring to motor mount tube using 2 Ton epoxy. Epoxied center slotted centering ring and then the forward centering ring onto the motor mount tube.
- 12/12/2017 – Epoxied motor mount assembly into body tube aligning slots in middle centering ring with body tube slots. Glued shock cord to shock cord mount and then inside forward end of body tube.
- 12/14/2017 – Glued skins to both sides of fin cores.
- 12/17/2017 – Sanded fin leading and trailing edges round with belt sander. Epoxied firs fin into slits of body tube motor mount. Epoxied second fin into body tube slits and onto motor mount. Epoxied third fins to model.
- 12/18/2017 – Filleted centering ring joints. Affixed motor tube retainer ring to aft end with HFT Epoxy Super Weld.
- 12/19/2017 – Epoxied launch lugs along center line between fins at 1/2″ and 12″ from aft end of body tube.
- 05/21/2018 – Painted Nose Cone Black and rest of rocket Red.
- 05/22/2018 – Painted tip of nose cone black.
- 06/21/2018 – Applied water slide decals. This completes constructions of Estes Mega Der Red Max pro series II #9705 model rocket.