Quite the unique design and a super cool rocket will get your building juices going with the Protostar! Overall length is 24 inches and weight is about 5 ounces for this “Star”. Estes C11, D and E model rocket engines powered, this rocket can top out at 1350 feet! Add the newest Estes “Spaceship” to your collection today!
- Length: 24″
- Diameter: 1.64″
- Weight: 5 oz.
- Fins: Laser Cut Wood
- Decals: Waterslide
- Recovery: 18″ Parachute
- Altitude: 1350′
- Recommended Motors:
- C11-3, D12-5, E12-6
- 06/05/2018 – Purchased Estes Protostar from Hobby Lobby in Columbus, IN for $17.99 ($23.99).
- 12/19/2018 – Marked body tube for three fins at 4″ length and launch lug at 9″ length. Removed fins from stock.
- 12/20/2018 – Sanded fin edges smooth. Cut out plastic nose cone and tail cone.
- 01/20/2019 – Sanded root edge of fins. Cut off base of plastic body tube 20 nose cones and sanded edges smooth. Glued centering rings at both ends of motor mount. Cemented tail cone to aft end of motor mount tube. Rounded leading edge and tapered trailing edge of fins. Sanded pad of fin that attaches to nose cone on end of fin to shape of nose cone contour with 220 grit sandpaper.
- 02/03/2019 – Glued fins to dovetail cone with CA and accelerator.
- 02/04/2019 – Added clay to forward end of nose cone.
- 02/05/2019 – Glued fins to body tube. Filleted fin joints. CA’d tail cone into place.
- 02/06/2019 – Glued half of launch lug 1/2″ from aft end of body tube and other half 9″ from aft end of body tube. Glued shock cord to mount and inside forward end of body tube by at least 1″.
- 02/07/2019 – Filleted launch lug joints. Tied shock cord to nose cone.