ESTES Model #1293
1/10th Scale Sounding Rocket. A “great addition” to your scale rocket collection.
ou asked and we listened! Another highly sought after kit is rejoining the Estes line! The Black Brant III is a sounding scale model of the primary research vehicle produced by Canada Bristol Aerospace and is an excellent choice for your first scale project. Construction is fairly simple with the high quality parts we’ve included. Great performance and really impressive flights!
- Length: 20.4″
- Diameter: 0.98″
- Weight: 1.2 oz.
- Fins: Laser Cut Wood
- Decals: Waterslide
- Altitude: 1300′
- Recommended Motors:
- 1/2A6-2, A8-3, A10-3T, B4-4, B6-4, B6-6, C6-5, C6-7
- 08/22/2018 – Purchased Estes Black Brant III from Estes for $14.99 (Retail $14.99)
- 11/15/2018 – Took pictures of package and components. Scanned several components and instructions. Measurements recorded on page 32 Book #4.
- 12/07/2018 – Made a copy of page 2 and cut out shock cord mount and fin marking guide. Scanned plans, fins, ring, and nose cone. Measurements are on page 40 Book #4. Cut out engine nozzle from plastic piece. Marked motor mount tube at 7/8″, and 2-1/4″. Cut a 1/8″ slit at 2-1/4″ mark and inserted motor retainer hook. Glued ring over retainer at 7/8″. Glued the split centering ring next to retainer ring. Glued other centering ring flush with forward end of motor mount tube. Glued engine block inside forward edge of motor mount tube.
- 12/09/2018 – Marked fin and launch lug reference lines on body tube. Glued fins along guide lines.
- 12/10/2018 – Filleted fin joints. Glued launch lug 15″ from aft edge onto launch lug reference line.
- 12/11/2018 – Glued shock cord to mount and inside forward edge of body tube recessed by 1-1/2″. Glued motor mount assembly into aft end of body tube using nozzle as a guide. Cemented nozzle to aft end of body tube.