ESTES Model #9701
This is the Estes Ventris Pro Series II Rocket Kit. Fantastic is one of the few words that describes what the Ventris is! Introduced in 2011, the Pro Series II line of Estes rockets are true “big boy” toys! The Ventris stands an impressive 46.25 inches tall and can soar upwards of 2000 ft! The Ventris launches on composite motors and has through the wall fin mounting. An awesome feature to this series is the quick release motor retention system. Though massive looking, the construction of this kit is not difficult. Building and finish work can easily be accomplished over a few days. With its size, crowd pleasing aesthetics, and performance the Ventris is the perfect addition to your collection!
- Length: 46.25″
- Diameter: 2.5″
- Weight: 15.6 oz.
- Altitude: 2000′
- Recovery: 24″ Nylon Parachute
- Recommended Motors:
- F26-6, F50-6T, G40-7W, G80-7T
- 12/27/2013 – Purchased Estes Ventris PSII from Estes for $29.99 (Retail $64.99).
- 01/23/2015 – Took pictures of package and components. Made measurements of components and recorded them on page 146 Book #3.
- 01/24/2015 – Epoxied centering ring onto aft end of motor mount tube using green spacer ring as a guide. Second centering ring was epoxied in place using fins as a guide for spacing between centering rings. Filleted all but the aft centering ring joints with 2-Ton epoxy. Epoxied motor mount tube assembly into lower slotted body tube.
- 01/25/2015 – Epoxied half of tube coupler to lower slotted body tube. Epoxied outside aft centering ring joint. Mixed up a batch of B-J Weld and welded engine retainer to the aft motor mount tube. Epoxied upper body tube to other half of tube coupler.
- 01/28/2015 – Made a mark halfway between fin slots and extended it the full length of the upper body tube for attachment of launch lug.
- 01/31/2015 – Sanded fins and launch lug stand offs. Glued launch lug standoffs together. Used spring clip to hold the pieces together.
- 02/14/2015 – Sanded fin front edge round and trailing edge tapered with 200 grit then 400 grit sandpaper. Mixed up a botch of 2-ton epoxy and epoxied fins to body tube. Filleted two fin joints with 2-ton epoxy.
- 02/15/2015 – Filleted remaining fin joints.
- 02/16/2015 – Sanded launch lug standoffs and epoxied them to body tube along reference line at aft end and 12″ from aft end along reference line.
- 02/17/2015 – Epoxied launch lug on top of both standoffs.
- 02/18/2015 – Applied 2-ton epoxy fillets to launch lug and standoff joints.
- 04/02/2023 – Sanded entire model with 60 grit sandpaper and wiped with Alcohol wiper. Sanded with 120 grit sandpaper and wiped with alcohol wiper. Sanded with 600 grit sandpaper and wiped with alcohol wiper.
- 04/10/2023 – Spray painted entire model with Rust-o-leum #327914 Flat White primer.
- 04/12/2023 – Spray painted nose cone and payload section with #25414 Gloss Black. Spray painted fins with Krylon #3406 Gloss Banner Red.
- 08/20/2023 – Cut vinyl decals from decal sheet and applied to model using photo card as guide. (Decals were applied by removing white paper backing, rubbing onto model in proper placement and removing remaining top layer of transfer tape.} Took picture of finished model. This completes construction of Estes #9701, Ventris PSII model rocket.