A sleek 2-stage sport rocket standing over 30 inches tall, the Estes Air Commander is sure to command attention at your next club launch! This model rocket can be flown in single-stage or in 2-stage configurations and can reach heights of 2250 feet. Amazing!
Powered by “C” or “D”engines, the Air Commander is a two-stage model rocket with attitude. Its size alone will let everybody know you’re serious about rocketry. However, building is easy with its plastic nosecone and laser-cut wood fins.
- Length: 32.5″
- Diameter: 1.33″
- Weight: 3.8 oz.
- Fins: Laser Cut Wood
- Decals: Waterslide
- Recovery: 18″ Parachute
- Altitude: 2250′
- Recommended Motors:
- Booster: C11-0, D12-0
- Upper Stage: C11-5, D12-5, D12-7
- 12/27/2013 – Purchased Estes Air Commander from Estes for $5.89 (Retail $26.99).
- 12/26/2017 – Took pictures of packaging and components. Scanned fin sheet, decal and instructions.
- 01/02/2018 – Made copy of tube marking guide and shock cord mount. Marked body tube for fin and launch lug placement. Glued two fins onto body tube.
- 01/02/2018 – Made copy of fin alignment guide, launch lug guide and shock cord mount. Glued fins onto body tube and booster tube.
- 01/03/2018 – Filleted fin joints. Made motor mount for booster and upper stage.
- 01/04/2018 – Made fins for upper stage and glued along guide line on body tube. Filleted fin joints. Glued motor mount inside booster stage. Applied strips along fin line guide lines. Cemented upper body tube to coupler and applied plastic insert.
- 01/06/2018 – Filleted fin and strip joints. Cut launch lug in half and glued to wooden stand offs. Glued upper stage motor mount assembly into place.
- 01/07/2018 – Glued launch lug assembly to launch lug guide lines, one at aft end and other 8″ from aft end. Glued shock cord to mount and then inside forward end of body tube by 1-1/2″. Filleted launch lug joints.
- 08/06/2018 – Painted nose cone and first stage Smoke Gray, Body tube Gloss White and payload Metallic Gold.