ESTES Model #2191
- Length: 13″
- Diameter: 2.0″
- Weight: 3.0 oz.
- RotoSpan: 6.5″
- Fins: Laser Cut Balsa
- Altitude: 400′
- Recovery: 12″ Parachute
- Recommended Motors
- B4-2, B6-2, C6-3
- 03/11/2005 – Purchased Estes SpaceShipOne from Al’s Hobby Shop at NARCON 2005 for $11.25 (Retail $15.95).
- 02/13/2022 – Took pictures of package and components.
- 02/14/2022 – Measured components and recorded ib Book #4 Page #102. Made a copy of shock cord mount and tube marking guide. Cut out both.
- 02/15/2022 – Marked motor mount tube at 1, 1-5/8″, 2-1/4″, and 2-5/8″. Cut a 1/8″ slot at the 2-1/4″ mark and inserted engine hook. Slid retainer ring over engine hook and glued in place at the 1″ mark. Flued the centering ring with the notch at the 1-5/8″ mark and glued the centering ring without the notch at the 22-5/8″ marrk. Lined up the notch with the engine retainer hook. Filleted joints. Cut off both ends of boat tail and sanded smooth with emery board. Cut flange from nose cone eye. Removed fins and wings from balsa sheet and sanded them smooth. Glued motor mount assembly into aft end of boat tail.
- 02/16/2022 – Filleted boat tail joints. Removed side fins from balsa sheet and sanded smooth. Cut out slots in side fins. Glued boat tail to main body tube using Testors cement for plastics. Using wing assembly fixture, glued wings to body tube and filleted the joints. Glued side fins to wings.
- 02/172022 – Filleted side fin joints. Glued elevator tabs to side fins and filleted joints. Glued strakes to side fins. Pushed clay plugs innto forward end of nose cone. Glued shock cord to mount and then inside forward end of body tube 2″ deep. Glued launch lug to wing joint. Tied shock cord to nose cone. Filleted launch lug joints.
- 02/20/2022 – Spray painted entire model with white primer.
- 05/23/2023 – Sanded model with emery board, 120, 220 & 600 grit sandpaper. Wiped model with alcohol wipe. Spray painted with Rust-o-leum #328373 High Gloss White.
- 05/24/2023 – Cut 2 pieces of red colored tape and applied ti leading edge of wings.
- 05/25/2023 – Applied self adhesive decals to model using photo card as a guide. This completes construction of Estes Spaceshipone model rocket #2191. Took picture of finished model.