A Super Sized Super Alpha that flies on 24mm Estes engines. How cool is that!
Super sized and super fun! That’s what the Super Alpha is! Powered by 24mm engines, you will reach amazing heights!
- Length: 19.5″
- Diameter: 1.64″
- Weight: 2.2 oz.
- Recovery: 18″ Parachute
- Fins: Die Cut Wood
- Decals: Waterslide
- Motor Mount Tube upgraded from 18mm to 24mm
- 04/22/2013 – Purchased Estes Super Alpha from HobbyLinc for $10.99 (Retail $16.48)
- 01/ 01/2015 – Took pictures of construction process. Glued all parts during construction of this model. Measured motor mount tube 1″ and 2-1/2″ from aft end. Cut a 1/8″ slit at 2-1/2″ mark and installed metal engine retainer. Placed a ring of glue above 1″ mark and slid engine hook retainer thru glue and to the mark assuring the engine retainer remains straight.Glued forward centering ring at 2-1/2″ mark and aft centering ring at 1″ mark. Filleted centering ring joints. Sanded three fins smooth, rounded leading edge and tapered training edge. Marked body tube using guide and glued fins along lines. Filleted fin joints.
- 01/02/2015 – Rounded two center pieces of old wooden pieces to a diameter of 1-9/16″ and then cut out the center hole with a forester bit. Using K-B Weld, affixed the 24mm retainer ring to the aft end of the motor tube. Pressed the aft centering ring against the retainer ring. No engine block was installed in the motor mount tube. Wiped excess epoxy from edges of centering rings. Applied 2-ton epoxy to inside of body tube where both centering rings will rest and inserted motor mount assembly into body tube.
- 01/03/2015 – Glued shock cord to mount and then inside forward end of body tube by at least 2″. Glued launch lug to fin joint.
- 10/06/2015 – Painted entire model with Krylon #51501 Gloss White spray paint.
- 10/07/2015 – Masked one fin and upper portion of body tube 1/2″ from from edge of fins.
- 10/08/2015 – Spray painted areas with Krylon Banner Red #52108. Removed masking tape and paper. Scanned decal.
- 10/10/2015 – Applied decals. This completes construction of Estes Super Alpha model rocket #3216.
|10/11/2015||Sod Farm||BS22||D12-3||Maiden Flight.|
|11/07/2015||Sod Farm||BS24||E28-3||Ejection Charge Spearated nose and body. Recovered all but parachute.|
|04/0282017||Sod Farm||BS98||D12-5||Good flight.|
|07/15/2017||Sod Farm||BS99||D12-5||Good flight.|