ESTES Model #2109
Going staged is awesome. Witness a magnificent lift off with the Renegade. It’s over two feet tall and can be launched as a single or two stage rocket.
- Length: 23.6″
- Diameter: 1.637″
- Weight: 4.3 oz.
- Fins: Die cut balsa
- Altitude: 850′
- Recovery: 12″ Parachute
- Recommended Motors:
- Booster – D12-0
- Sustainer – D12-5
- 01/09/2004 – Purchased Estes Renegade from Hobby Lobby in Columbus, IN for $13.99 (Retail $14.99).
- 02/12/2003 – Took pictures of package and contents. Scanned picture card, nose cone, rings, fin sheets, fins, decal and plans.
- 12/13/2005 – Copied tube marking guide and sock cord mount. Cut them out. Removed fins from stock sheet and sanded root edges. Measured components and recorded on pages 136 & 138 Book #2.
- 03/04/2006 – Marked booster and upper stage tubes. Glued green 2050 Adapter rings into booster and upper stage. Marked centering ring placement at 1/8″ and 2-1/2″ from rear of engine tube on booster and 1″ & 2-1/2″ on upper stage engine tube. Glued and filleted on side of each centering ring tube joint.
- 03/05/2005 – Filleted glue to second side of centering ring joints. Put glue inside booster tube even with forward motor mount centering ring and slid booster motor mount assembly into booster tube with rear of motor mount tube even with body tube. Marked the red tube coupler at mid point and glued it into the top of booster body tube. Drew the booster and upper body tubes guide lines the length of the tubes. Drew the launch lug reference line 4″ long and 4″ from the rear of the upper body tube. Using a cotton swap applied a ring of glue inside the upper body tube 2″ from the rear of the body tube. Sanded ridge from each booster tube nose cones. Cemented plastic nose cones on each end of the two BT-5s completing the fin pod tubes. Glued fins onto upper and booster body tubes. Filleted fin joints. Glued launch lug 4-1/4″ from rear of upper stage body tube. Cut nipples on base of nose cone to enlarge hole for clay weight. Made a rope of clay and pressed into end of nose cone.
- 03/06/2005 – Filleted launch lug. Glued large booster fin to booster body tube. Filleted the joint. Ran a bead of glue along the booster tube and attached long booster fin.
- 03/09/2005 – Glued shock cord to shock cord mount and then inside forward body tube edge about 1″ to 2″. Removed flash from nose cone.
- 03/10/2005 – Tied end of shock cord to nose cone.
- 07/11/2005 – Filled balsa parts with balsa filler.
- 09/03/2005 – Wiped down model with damp sponge, allowed it to dry and spray painted it with Krylon Gloss Black #1601 several times.
- 09/05/2005 – Applied more Black spray paint to booster and upper body tube.
- 10/15/2005 – Sanded BT-5 wing tip smooth. Cut out some black electrical tape 3/4″ wide and applied around BT-5s. Applied self adhesive decals to model. This completes Estes Renegade model rocket #2109.
|03/09/2013||Sod Farm||BS64||D12-0/D12-5||Good Flight. Upper stage ignited perfectly. Recovery device in the upper stage did not deploy due to motor falling from the motor mount during motor ejection firing. Model Lawn Darted causing extensive damage to the model. It will require extensive repair to fly again.|