ESTES Model #8700
This is the Estes Leviathan Pro Series II Rocket Kit. Fantastic is one of the few words that describes what the Leviathan is! Introduced in 2011, the Pro Series II line of Estes rockets are true “big boy” toys! The Leviathan stands an impressive 41.5 inches tall and can soar upwards of 1500 ft! The Leviathan launches on composite motors and has through the wall fin mounting. An awesome feature to this series is the quick release motor retention system. Though massive looking, the construction of this kit is not difficult. Building and finish work can easily be accomplished over a few days. With its size, crowd pleasing aesthetics, and performance the Leviathan is the perfect addition to your collection!
- Length: 41.5″
- Diameter: 3″
- Weight: 17.5 oz.
- Recovery: 24″ Parachute
- Altitude: 1500′
- Fin: Laser Cut
- Screw on motor retainer
- Quick release motor system
- Recommended Motors:
- F26-6FJ, F50-6T, G40-7W, G80-7T
- 05/05/2012 – Purchased Estes Leviathan from Hobby Lobby in Columbus, IN for $35.99 (Retail $59.99).
- 10/06/2012 – Started building kit.
- 09/15/2013 – Cut off 3-1/2″ of forward body tube that got damaged at the September 14, 2013 launch. Need to determine if the section wi be replaced or remain as-is. Nylon shock cord still needs to be attached to the main body tube.
- 12/26/2017 – Started construction on second Estes Leviathan model number 9700. Opened package after taking picture, opened package and took pictures of components. Scanned fins, decal and instructions.
- 01/08/2018 – Epoxied aft centering ring to motor tube using green spacer as guide. Epoxied forward centering ring to motor mount tube using green adapter as guide. Drilled two small holed into forward centering ring for a Kevlar loop. Applied final epoxy fillet to centering ring joints. Epoxied motor mount assembly into lower slotted body tube. Attached shock cord to Kevlar loop on opposite end.
- 01/10/2018 – Epoxied fins through lower body tube slots and onto motor mount tube assembly.
- 01/13/2018 – Welded engine retainer to aft end of motor mount tube with Harbor Freight Epoxy Super Weld.
- 03/07/2018 – Filleted all four fin joints with epoxy.
- 03/08/2018 – Epoxied launch lugs at 3/4″ and 12″ from aft end of body tube. Filleted both launch lugs with epoxy.
|10/13/2012||ADC Park||BS61||F36-7||Maiden Flight. Nice and slow lift off. Delay was too long. Shock Cord created a zipper in body tube. Model can be repaired.|
|04/13/2013||Sod Farm||BS66||F29-7||Great Flight. Landed only a few feet from the launch controller. Easy Recovery|
|09/14/2013||Sod Farm||BS71||F50-10||Good Flight. No chute ejection. Model got hung up on a utility line to a garage. No recovery.|
|08/23/2014||Sod Farm||BS83||G64W||Good Flight.|
|11/09/2014||Sod Farm||BS86||G88||Good Flight.|
|12/13/2014||Sod Farm||BS87||G131||Good Flight. No chute ejection. Model got hung up on a utility line to a garage. No recovery.|