Estes Model #1949
Big Bertha is an Estes original! She’s an all-around Estes favorite that has truly withstood the test of time. Over the decades, Big Bertha has been most modelers’ first big build. If you’ve never flown a Bertha, get one and launch it. Once you’ve flown it, you’ll take it to every launch!
The Big Bertha gives you a slow, realistic liftoff. What a thrill it is to watch! Propelled by powerful standard Estes engines, this beauty travels to 500 feet and comes back to Earth with an 18 inch parachute. Quality Estes body tubes, laser cut wood fins, molded plastic nose cone and easy to apply waterslide decals makes this rocket kit a perfect companion for an afternoon of building enjoyment.
- Length: 24″
- Diameter: 1.64″
- Weight: 2.5 oz.
- Fin: Laser cut wood
- The motor mount on this model was modified from 18mm to 24mm.
- 10/01/1998 – Modified engine mount from 18mm to 24mm. Replaced engine tube in kit with silver tube from Boyace that will accept 24mm motors. Modified kit centering ring from 18mm centers to 24mm centers. Smoothed holes with rolled up sandpaper.
- 10/02/1998 – Completed engine mount construction using 24mm engine mount tube . Scanned page containing tube marking guide and shock cord mount. Cut tube marking guide and shock cord mount from printed page.
- 06/27/2003 – Marked body tube and glued four fins to the marks.
- 06/28/2003 – Filleted fin joints. glued launch lugs to body tube.
- 06/29/2003 – While looking for the shock cord, found the 5″ launch lug for the model. Will need to cut off the one currently attached and replace with this one. Removed shock cord (1/2″ x 24″ from the bay and glued to the mount and then inside the body tube by a few inches. Cut off the launch lug and glued the 5″ launch lug in its place. Filleted launch lug joints.
- 07/01/2003 – Coated fins with balsa filler.
- 07/08/2003 – Sanded fins with 400 grit sandpaper.
- 07/10/2003 – Applied second coat of balsa filler to fins.
- 07/12/2003 – Sanded fins a second time with 400 grit sandpaper.
- 07/19/2003 – Spray painted model with Krylon Gloss Black #81601 with three coats of paint.
- 07/23/2003 – Applied self adhesive decals as per pictures. This completes construction of Estes Big Bertha model rocket #1949.
|05/11/2013||Sod Farm||BS67||D12-3||Good Flight but a long walk for recovery.|
|03/09/2013||Sod Farm||BS64||D12-5||Good Flight.|
|04/13/2013||Sod Farm||BS66||E28-7||Quick Lift off. Long walk to recover. Broke fin from body tube. Easy Repair.|
|04/13/2013||Sod Farm||BS66||D12-3||Good Flight. Long walk to recover.|
|05/11/2013||Sod Farm||BS67||D12-5||Good Flight but a long walk to recover.|
|09/18/2013||Sod Farm||BS71||D112-7||Good Flight. Recovered by Cory.|
|04/26/2014||Sod Farm||BS79||E22-5||Maiden Flight using a CTI E22 motor. Good Flight. Motor Mount and casing stripped from model and was lost.|