ESTES Model #2146
Maybe this is what the first rocket ever launched looked like. Don’t let the Rock-it fool you. Under its rocky exterior are a pre-shaped rock nose cone and a sleek design that lets this rock fly over 500 feet high.
- Length: 19.25″
- Diameter: 2.60″
- Weight: 5.3 oz.
- Fins: Laser Cut Balsa
- Recovery: 18″ Parachute
- Altitude: 540′
- Parts List
- Engine spacer tube, yellow – 35004
- Hook Retainer, black – 30160
- Body Tube, BT-80 – 30433
- Engine Mount Tube – 30463
- Engine Block, green – 30164-2
- Tube Adapter – 30052
- Launch Lug (3/16″ x 2″) – 38166
- Nose Cone NC-80 – 61465
- Engine Hook – 35021
- Shock Cord, rubber (1/4″ x 30″) – 38369
- Balsa Sheet, laser cut – 61466
- Parachute 18″ – 35802
- Recommended Motors:
- C11-3, D12-3, D12-5
- 06/17/2006 – Purchased Estes Rock-it from Red Arrow Hobbies for $15.00 (Retail $17.95).
- 06/19/2006 – Took pictures of package, opened package and took pictures of components. Measured components and recorded them on page 30 Book #3.
- 06/22/2006 – Glued engine block flush with forward end of engine tube. Sanded nubs off of balsa fins. Placed on centering ring on forward end of engine tube and other 1″ from rear of engine tube. Filleted joints.
- 06/24/2006 – Poked two holes in forward centering ring and attache 18″ piece of 120# Kevlar cord. Smeared glue over Kevlar cord to secure it to centering ring.
- 06/25/2006 – Ran a couple beads of glue inside aft end of body tube so it lines up with forward and lower centering rings. Inserted motor mount assembly into body tube. Filleted rear centering ring joint at the body tube.
- 06/26/2006 – Marked body tube fin and launch lug lines onto body tube. Tied shock cord to Kevlar. Glued fins even with aft end of body tube and long fin reference lines. Filleted 2 sets of fin joints.
- 06/27/2006 – Filleted final set of fin joints. Glued launch lug along reference lint and filleted joints.
- 03/01/2022 – Spray painted model with black primer.
- 08/31/2023 – Sanded model with 120, 20, & 600 Grit sandpaper. Wiped with alcohol wiper.
- 09/01/2023 – Spray painted entire model with Rust-o-leum #778630 Gloss Smoke Gray.
- 09/04/2023 – Applied self adhesive decals. Took picture of finished model. This completes construction of Estes Rock-it model rocket #2146.