Estes Model #2191
Ansari X Prize Team: Scaled Composites, Mojave,California, USA. SpaceShipOne is the first private manned spaceship into Space and the ANSARI X PRIZE WINNER! It is a 1:30 scale version of Burt Rutan’s design. This Estes rocket duplicates the unique design of this ship and blasts to 400 feet into the sky.
- Length: 13.0″
- Diameter: 2.00″
- Rotorspan: 6.5″
- Weight: 3.0 oz.
- Recovery: 12 in. Parachute
- Fins: Laser cut balsa
- Maximum Altitude: 400′
- Recommended Motors:
- B4-2, B6-2, C6-3
- 05/26/2005 – Purchased Estes SpaceShipOne from Hobby Lobby for $13.99 (Retail $15.95).
- 02/13/2022 –Took pictures of package and components. Scanned several components, instructions and decals.
- 02/14/2022 – Measured components and recorded on Page 102 of Book #4. Cut out fin and wings, pictures and taped them on Page 102 of Book #4. Made copy of shock cord mount and tube marking guide on 110# cardboard paper and then cut them out.
- 02/15/2022 – Marked Motor Mount Tube at 1″, 1-5/8″, 2-1/4″, and 2-5/8″. Cut a 1/8″ slot at the 2-1/4″ mark and inserted engine hook. Glued centering ring with notch over engine hook and at the 1-5/8″ mark. Glued other centering ring without notch at the 2-5/8″ mark assuring the ring reference mark lines up with engine hook. Filleted the ring joints with yellow on both centering rings on both sides. Using a razor saw, cut off both end of boat tail. Sanded ends smooth with an emery board. Cut flange from nose cone eyelet with razor knife. Removed fin and wing pieces from stock balsa sheets and sanded the edges smooth except for the tab edge. Inserted motor mount tube assembly into boat tail.
- 02/16/2022 – Secured assembly inside boat tail with a fillet of Testors cement for plastics. Removed side fins from balsa sheet and removed balsa material from slots. Glued boat tail assembly to body tube with Testors cement for plastics. Removed parts for wing assembly fixture from cardboard stock and assembled it. Glued wings to body tube using this fixture. Filleted body tube/wing joints with yellow glue. Glued side fins to wings with yellow glue.
- 02/17/2022 – Filleted side wing/wing joints with yellow glue. Applied yellow glue to elevator tabs and glued them to side fins. Filleted elevator joints. Glued strakes to side fins. Pushed red clay plugs into nose cone using a wooden dowel. Glued shock cord to shock cord mount and then inside the body tube at least 2″. Glued launch lug to wing/body tube joint. Tied shock cord to nose cone. Filleted launch lug joints with yellow glue. This completes construction of Estes Spaceshipone model #2191 except for paint and decal.
- 02/20/2022 – Spray painted entire model with white primer.
- 05/23/2023 – Sanded primer with emory board, 120, 220, & 600 grit sandpapers. Wiped model with alcohol wiper. Spray painted entire model with Rust-oleum # 328373 High Gloss White.
- 05/24/2023 – Cut 2 pieces of red tape and applied to leading edges of wings. using hobby knife, trimed them to size.
- 05/25/2023 – Applied self adhesive decals to model using instructions and photo card. Took pictures of finished model rocket. This completes construction of Estes #2191, Spaceshipone model rocket.