ESTES Model #0809
A retro looking little joe II design. Entered in X-Prize competition, lifts off to 300′. 1:55 scale.
- Length: 8.6″
- Diameter: 1.64″
- Weight: 1.08 oz.
- Recovery: 12″ Parachute
- Fin: Laser cut balsa
- Altitude: 300′
- Recommended Motors:
- 1/2A3-2T, A3-4T, A10-3T
- 02/05/2005 – Purchased Estes #0809 Gauchito from Hobby Lobby in Columbus, IN for $7.99 (Retail $8.99).
- 10/10/2005 – Took pictures of package, opened package and took pictures of contents.
- 10/11/2005 – Scanned plans, picture card and parts. Measured parts and recorded on page 156 Book #2. Made copy of front page and cut out body tube guide and shock cord mount from copy.
- 10/12/2005 – Marked engine mount tube at 1/8″, 3/4″ and 1-1/2″ from aft end. Cut 1/8″ slit at 1-1/2″ mark and inserted engine clip hook into it. Applied glue just above 3/4″ mark and slid retain ring over glue to the mark. Glued one entering ring even with aft end of engine tube and the other centering ring slightly above the engine hook. Filleted centering ring joints. Glued completed engine tube assembly 5/8″ inside the aft end of body tube. Marked aft end of body tube with fin and launch lug lines. Drew lines using door jamb as a guide. Cemented plastic nose cone base into plastic nose cone. Sanded four fin edges smooth. Replaced rubber shock cord with elastic shock cord.
- 10/13/2005 – Glued fins to main body tube and filleted fin joints.
- 10/14/2005 – Finished filleting fin joints.
- 10/15/2005 – Brush on copper color on nose cone. Glued shock cord to mount and then inside forward end of main body tube by 2″. Glued launch lug 1-7/8″ from aft end of main body tube.
- 10/16/2005 – Filleted launch lug joints.
- 10/30/2005 – Balsa filled fins with balsa filler.
- 08/26/2006 – Matt applied coat of Krylon Gloss White #1501 spray paint and later that evening applied self adhesive decals. This completes construction of Estes Gauchito model rocket #0809.