ESTES Model 2178
One of our most extreme, super performance model rockets you can own and can easily be built in one afternoon. Estes standard model rocket engine powered.
- Length: 12″
- Diameter: 0.74″
- Weight: 1.1 oz.
- Fin: Laser Cut Wood
- Decal: Self Adhesive
- Recovery: 12″ Streamer
- Altitude: 1500′
- Recommended Motors:
- 1/2A6-2, A8-3, B4-4, B6-4, B6-6, C6-5, C6-7
- 12/13/2003 – Purchased Estes Hi-Flier from Hobby Lobby in Greenwood, IN for $4.68 (Retail $4.99)
- 02/06/2004 – Took pictures of package and opened it to take pictures of contents. Measured components and traced fin and nose cone on page 108 Book #2.
- 02/07/2004 – Scanned fin sheet, fin, decal, nose cone and plans. Made 2 copies of page 1 and cut out shock cord mount and tube marking guide from the other. Cemented plastic nose cone base to plastic nose cone. Marked the fin and launch lug lines on the body tube. Removed fins from fin stock, sanded each one with 320 and 400 grit sandpapers. Applied glue to them and glued them to the body tube along the reference lines. Filleted joints. Installed engine block into body tube using spacer tool. The spacer tool was notched 1/4″ from one end and the engine block was inserted into the body tube until 1/4″ of spacer tool remained outside the end of the body tube. Did not install engine clip and retainer ring. Clued launch lug 2-1/8″ from aft end of body tube along launch lug reference line. Folded on end of streamer to form a triangle and punched a hole through it. Tied a #10 snap swivel to one end of shroud lines and tied other end to the hole. Filleted launch lug joints.
- 02/11/2004 – Glued shock cord to shock cord mount and then inside of forward end of body tube by at least 1″.
- 08/26/2006 – Spray painted model with Krylon #2108 gloss banner red.