Recreate the excitement of the early days of NASA with this stunning 1:34 scale replica of Mercury Redstone (MR-4) and Gus Grissom’s Liberty Bell 7. The finished model stands nearly 29 inches tall with laser-cut, layered balsa fins. Topped with a detailed plastic scale model of the historic Mercury spacecraft.
- Length: 28.3″
- Diameter: 2.05″
- Weight: 3.7 oz.
- Recovery: 15″ Parachute
- Fins: Laser Cut Balsa
- Decal: Waterslide & Self Adhesive
- Alititude: 1200′
- Recommended Motor: C6-3
- 05/31/2001 – Purchased Estes Mercury Redstone from Bob Gelina for $18.00 (Retail $25.99)
- 11/099/2001 – Started construction by opening package and checking out parts. All parts present. Made slit in engine mount tube. put engine holder into slit and fixed in place with glue and retainer ring. Cemented front end of engine tube/fin cage to engine tube.
- 11/10/2001 – Cemented capsule together. Cemented fins together. Glued engine mount/fin assembly into place. Cut out decal and applied to lower body tube where fins were attached. Glued body tubes together using a body tube coupler ring. Completed nose cone piece and set atop of body tube. Applied self adhesive decals to all but the capsule. Glued shock cord to body tube using a shock cord mount. Tied recovery cord around capsule for parachute deployment and recovery capsule.
- 11/18/2001 – Spray painted capsule Flat Black with Walmart Color Place #20004. Cut out decals for capsule and applied self adhesive decals as shown. This completes construction of Estes Mercury Redstone model rocket #2167.