ESTES Model #2166
The model rocket kit is a 1/9th scale model of the free-flight surface-to-surface Honest John, a tactical missile to provide close fire support for ground combat operations.
- Length: 23″
- Diameter: 1.64″
- Weight: 4.4 oz.
- Recovery: 15″ Parachute
- Decal: Waterslide
- Fin: Plastic
- Recommended Motors:
- 07/08/2000 – Purchased Estes Honest John from Hobbylinc for $48.69 (Retail $64.99)
- 02/25/2001 – Removed centering rings from card stock, measured 6-9/32 along engine mount and glued the centering ring without slit. Glued the centering ring with the slit 1/16″ from the end of the tube. Cut the rear part of the nose cone/boat tail plastic piece apart. Positioned the engine tube into the body tube and glued it in place. Removed excess plastic from nose cone and rear, and boat tail. Drilled holes into rear. Inserted shock cord and tied the ends together.
- 02/27/2001 – Applied glue to inside of body tube and upper centering ring to seal the compartment so the ejection gasses will not escape when generated and pop off the nose cone. Cemented the nose cone to the rear nose cone piece. Cut out the fin halves and spin nozzles from the plastic stock.
- 02/28/2001 – Copied SP-69 to card stock. Cut out the three motor bands. Trimmed all fin pieces.
- 03/01/2001 – Measured body tube 6-7/8″ from each end. Glued firs and second motor band to these marks. Punched out smaller hole in the third motor band. Glued the third motor band over the other motor bands.
- 03/02/2001 – Sanded fin edges with Dremel tool. Using Testors #3507 liquid cement for plastics, joined all fin halves together.
- 03/04/2001 – Sanded edges of glued fins then glued to boat tail.
- 03/05/2001 – Filleted fin joints with 5 minute epoxy.
- 03/06/2001 – Epoxied boat tail with fins to body tube.
- 03/07/2001 – Cut out the spin nozzles and trimmed two of the four.
- 03/08/2001 – Trimmed the other two nozzles.
- 03/09/2001 – Cut out balsa parts.
- 10/30/2001 – Sanded spin nozzles to nose cone shape. Cemented to nose end at 1″ mark.
- 10/31/2001 – Glued the remaining spin nozzle to nose cone. glue a “g” to one side of “d” assemblies.
- 11/01/2001 – Glued “g” to other side of “d”. Allowed to dry and glued “E” to each “d”.
- 11/02/2001 – Glued “e” to “f”.
- 11/03/2001 – Sanded all “A” parts equal. Glued “b” to “a” on each of 2 pieces then glued “t” on top.
- 11/08/2001 – Epoxied upper sled to nose button. Epoxied lower sled and shoes in place.
- 11/09/2001 – Cut launch lug into two 1/2″ sections. Glued one section to upper shoe and other to the middle of the lower shoe. Filleted launch lug joints.
- 09/25/2002 – Spray painted model with Krylon Gloss White #1501.