QUEST Model #3009
Development of the “lifting body” concept started at the NASA Ames Research center in the mid 1960’s. The shape was a lifting fuselage, with no wings, developed to use the aerodynamic forces of reentry to maneuver to a suitable landing area for a horizontal landing. Quest’s M2Q2 will turn heads just like “big boys” did way back then
- Length: 10″
- Weight: 1.23 oz.
- Wing Span: 6.375″
- Recovery: 14″ Parachute
- Fins: Balsa Die Cut
- Recommended Motors:
- A6-4, B6-4, C6-3
- 02/25/2003 – Purchased Quest M2Q2 from Hobbylinc for $8.99 (Retail $10.99)
- 07/12/2005 – Took pictures of package, opened package and took pictures of items. Scanned plans, nose cone, cockpit, fins, decal, skin and bulkheads.
- 07/24/2005 – Tied Kevlar thread and shock cord together 1″ from ends. Tied other end of Kevlar thread to engine block. Glued engine block even with end of yellow engine tube. Gut a slit 1/8″ long below engine block. Inserted engine retainer. Applied glue inside of body tube and inserted engine tube up to 1/2″ mark. Marked flat piece at centers. Marked white body tube along engine holder for the full length of body tube. Aligned outer wrap with body tube. Glued body tube even with smaller flat piece along center line and body tube line. Place tape along outside wrap. Aligned lower and upper fleet pieces to outer wrap centering lines. Glued smaller pipe in place by applying tack adhesive to inside of outer wrap along the smaller opening. Applied a bead of adhesive between larger flat pieces and outer wrap.
- 07/25/2005 – Removed falsa fins from stock, sanded fins and glued them to the fin alignment guide on the outer wrap.
- 07/26/2005 – Cut excess plastic from nose cone and sanded it. Dry fitted the flat piece into the nose cone.
- 08/01/2005 – Using cement, cemented bulkhead into rear of nose cone sot the rounded larger edge faces rearward. Trimmed some of the excess nose cone from the edges.
- 08/02/2005 – Sanded nose cone plastic even with bulkhead. Glued blue nose tube into nose cone and checked correct alignment with body. Tied free shock cord end around engine block and glued flush with nose cone tube.
- 09/05/2005 – Cut out canopy and glued in place.
- 10/30/2005 – Balsa filled fins.
- 10/25/2022 – Sanded balsa filler on fins and then wiped down with alcohol wiper.
- 09/23/2023 – Applied self adhesive decals to model. Took picture of finished model. This completes construction of Quest M2Q2 model rocket #Q3009.