SEMROC Model #KV-19
The Rawhide was first released in 1966. The original rocket had a hardwood nose cone and later models migrated to balsa. The updated Rawhide used laser cut fins, balsa nose cone, and a streamer slightly wider to enhance visibility during recovery. The original rubber shock cord was replaced with elastic cord. The original method of slitting the body tube to anchor the shock cord was replaced by a Kevlar cord.
- Length: 12.20″
- Diameter: 0.76″
- Weight: 0.50 oz.
- Recovery: Streamer
- Recommended Motors:
- A8-5, B6-6, C6-7
- 12/29/2003 – Purchased Semroc #KV-19 Rawhide from Semroc for $5.00 (Retail $5.00)
- 08/11/20036- Took pictures of package and components. Scanned nose cone, fin sheet, engine block, decal, photo card and plans.
- 08/12/2006 – Marked engine spacer 1/4″ from end. Marked a Q-tip to match distance and placed a ring of glued inside body tube. Using the engine spacer as length guide, glued engine block in place. Removed fins from stock. Sanded leading edge round and trailing edge tapered. Sanded the root edge flat. Using the tube marking guide, marked the body tube for fin placement on the body tube. Extended lines using a door jamb as a guide, the full length of the body tube. Glued the fins in place and allowed them to dry.
- 08/13/2006 – Filleted fin joints. Screwed and glued screw eye into base of nose cone. Glued launch lug 1″ from aft end of body tube evenly spaced between two fins. Filleted launch lug joints.
- 03/16/2022 – Spray painted entire model with Red Primer.
- 02/13/2023 – Sanded balsa parts with 80 grit sandpaper.
- 03/06/2023 – Spray painted body tube with Rust-oleum #7786 Smoke Gray and nose cone with Krylon #51601 gloss black. Removed masking from nose cone.
- 06/22/2023 – Masked body tube for fin painting. Masked nose cone. Sanded nose cone with 60, 120, 220 & 600 grit sandpapers. Wiped with alcohol wiper after 60 & 600 grit sanding. Spray painted nose cone with Krylon #51601 Gloss Black.
- 06/23/2023 – Spray painted fins with Rust-oleum #371767 High Gloss Majestic Red.
- 06/24/2023 – Applied water slide decal to model. Took picture of finished model. This completes construction of Semroc #KV-19, Rawhide model rocket.