The original Scout was designed by Vern Estes, and was awarded a patent in 1960 for achieving tumble recovery via a shifting CG. The motor slides back via the ejection charge. This became catalog # K-1 and is among the most beloved nostalgic designs.
In celebration of the 50th anniversary of Model Rocketry, the “rocket doctor” Ken Montanye teamed up with Vern & Gleda Estes and the gang at Semroc to plan a spectacular event. The original plan was to issue a commemorative edition of the Scout, hold a mass launch at NARAM-50, and have the numbered models returned to their builders with a commemorative certificate. The mass launch plan was veto’d, but the efforts to honor the Estes’ contribution to the hobby continued. The kit was eventually released as a limited edition (every kit numbered), and the goal is for everyone to build one, paint it gold, and fly it during the month of July (the anniversary month).
When you log your flight record with Semroc, Vern and Gleda will send you an autographed certificate commemorating your flight. This is a fantastic idea, and a great tribute to a couple of the founding giants of our hobby. I strongly recommend EVERYONE in this hobby rush out and buy one of these before they’re gone, build it, and paint the sky gold in July.
- Length: 7.10″
- Diameter: 0.77″
- Weight: 0.28 oz.
- Recovery: Featherweight/Tumble
- Decals: Waterslide
- Fin: Balsa
- Fin Span: 2.70″
- Nose Cone: Balsa
- Recommended Motors:
- 1/2A6-2, A8-4, B6-6
- 03/06/2008 – Took pictures of package, opened package and took pictures of contents. Scanned components. Took measurements and recored them on page 92 Book #3.
- 03/08/2008 – Glued nose cone into forward end of body tube. wiped off excess glue with q-tip. Using a common pin, put a hole into the base of the nose cone 1/2″. Pushed the long end of hte engine holdr into the hole till the holder is flush with the body tube and even with the fin marking guide lines. Smeared glue on Tyvec strip and placed over the length of the engine holder on the body tube. Glued the three fins to the body tube. Filleted the fin joints.
- 03/15/2008 – Glued gold wire to fin joint opposite the engine holder.
- 05/04/2008 – Applied balsa filler (Aerogloss 7-4) to fins and nose cone.
- 06/05/2008 – Spray painted scout twice with Krylon Metallic brilliant Gold #51510.
- 06/11/2008 – Applied waterslide decal. This completes construction of Semroc Golden Scout. Registered mine and Linda’s at Semroc site.
|11/08/2008||ADC Park||BS25||A8-3||Joe, got any A’s?|