SEMROC Model #KV-13
The Astrobee 350 was a true scale design based on a 50 foot tall sounding rocket. The new design incorporated some ribs like the Aerobee-Hi. It was an excellent beginner kit, sharing many parts with the later Astro-1. The Astrobee-350 was based on the early Centuri Astrobee 350 and updated by re-placing the pre-printed fins with precision laser-cut fins. The original balsa nose cone and body tube sizes was used. The original 16” parachute has been reduced in size to reduce drift during recovery. The original rubber shock cord was replaced with an elastic cord for longer life. The original method of attaching the shock cord has been replaced by a Kevlar® cord for greater reliability. An engine hook was also added for ease of changing the engine.
- Length: 16.20″
- Diameter: 1.04″
- Weight: 1.00 oz.
- Recovery: Parachute
- Fin: Balsa
- Fin Span: 3.50″
- Nose Cone: Balsa
- Decal: Waterslide
- Recommended Motors:
- A8-5, B6-6, C6-7
- 03/08/2004 – Purchased Semroc #KV-13 Astrobee-350 from Semroc for $0.00 (Retail $9.00).
- 08/11/2006 – Took pictures of package and contents. Scanned nose cone, Fin Sheet, engine block, decal, photo card, and plans.
- 08/12/2006- Constructed the engine mount by tying a loop in the Kevlar cord on one end, and looping it over the end of the engine hook, gluing a centering ring even with the forward endge of the engine clip, gluing the other centering ring 1″ from the rear edge of the engine mount tube, gluing the engine block in the forward end of the motor tube, and filleting the centering ring joints. Glued the engine mount assembly into the rear of the body tube so the end of the motor mount tube and body tube are even. Before gluing the engine mount in place, marked the body tube using the fin alignment guide and extending fin lines the full length of the body tube with the aid of a door jamb. Glued 2 of the 4 fins in place even with the read of the body tube.
- 08/13/2006 – Glued the 2 remaining fins onto the body tube. Glued the launch lug 1″ from the aft of the body tube, evenly space between two fins opposite the motor clip. Filleted fin and launch lug joints.
- 03/14/2022 – Spray painted entire model with Red Primer.