SEMROC Model #KA-5
The Semroc April Dancer is based on a special effects missile from the old television spy series Man from U.N.C.L.E. Lee piester, the president of Centuri Engineering, designed the model rocket for his friend, Gene Winfield. Gene was the manager of the division of AMT that built the car used on the series. One of the special effects used rocket launch tubes in the gull wing doors to fire the heat seking missiles. Lee designed the original model rockets used on the series in 1967. The original model used the Centuri Mini Max F engines. The explosive effected were added in post production.
The Semroc April Dancer gets it name from the Girl from U.N.C.L.E. played by Stefanie powers. Altho9ugh the series only lasted one season, she made quite an impact on thousands of fans. The Semroc April Dancer uses laser cut balsa fins, balsa nose cone, ejection baffle, and parachute recovery. Since the original fins were so small, a clay weight is added to the nose cone for improved stability.
- Length: 16.6″
- Diameter: 1.34″
- Weight: 1.9 oz.
- Recovery: 12″ Parachute
- Decals: Waterslide
- Fins: Laser Cut Balsa
- Nose Cone: Precision Turned Balsa
- 07/30/2005 – Purchased Semroc April Dancer from Semroc at NARAM 47 for $13.50 (Retail $13.50).
- 08/13/2006 – Photographed package and components. Scanned plans, fin sheets, decals, cards, nose cone, and baffle. Sanded leading fin edge round and trailing edge tapered. Sanded root edge smooth and flat.
- 08/14/2006 – Glued one centering ring 1″ and other centering ring 3/4″ from aft end of motor mount tube over the motor clip. Filleted centering ring joints. Glued motor mount tube inside of body tube until 1/4″ extends out. Constructed baffle and glued it 3″ inside of forward end of body tube after tying one end of Kevlar around it and extending forward. Glued launch lug to standoff.
- 08/15/2006 – Filleted upper ring joint using a long Q-tip. Filleted rear engine mount centering ring.
- 08/16/2006 – Glued fins to body tube. Tied shock cord to other end of Kevlar Cord.
- 08/17/2006 – Glued launch lug assembly midway between 2 fins opposite motor clip and 2-1/2″ from rear. Filleted fin joints.
- 08/18/2006 – Filleted launch lug standoff joints. Sanded nose cone shoulder to fit the body tube.
- 03/16/2022 – Spray painted entire model with Red Primer.
- 02/13/2023 – Sanded balsa parts with 80 grit sandpaper.
- 05/03/2023 – Spray painted body tube and fins with Rust-oleum # 328373 high gloss white and nose cone with Krylon #8803 gloss banner red.
- 06/11/2023 – Applied water slide decals to model using photo card as guide. Took picture of finished model. This completes construction of Semroc # KA-5 April Dancer model rocket.