(Formerly Skill Level 3)
Be ready to challenge your building skills with the Mini “A” Heli! A “competition ready helicopter recovery” rocket is joining the Estes line and will challenge your building skills to get the “blades” just right for a maximum duration descent of 45-60 seconds in dead air. Powered by an A10-3T, this rocket is just waiting to be added to your collection.
|Projected Max Altitude||400 ft. (122 m)|
|Length||17 in. (43.2 cm)|
|Rotor||24.2 in. (61.5 cm)|
|Diameter||.54 in. (14 mm)|
|Estimated Weight||.65 oz. (18.4 g)|
|Estimated Assembly Time||5 Hours (painting and glue drying time not included)|
|Fin Materials||Laser cut wood|
|Launch System||Porta-Pad II and Electron Beam Launch Controller|
|Launch Rod Size||1/8″|
- 08/22/2018 – Purchased the model from Estes Industries for $14.99 (Retail – $14.99)
- 11/15/2018 – Took pictures of package and components. Scanned several components. Measurements are on page 36 of Book #4
- 01/23/2019 – Made copy of page 2 of instructions and cut out tube marking guide. Measured body tube as per instructions and cut off excess. Marked fin guide lines onto body tube BT-5. Marked the aft end of body tube at 1/2″ mark. Glued fins to body tube. Glued engine block into body tube using yellow spacer tube marked 3/8″ from aft end. Glued aft launch lug to fin/body tube joint.
- 01/24/2019 – Glued forward launch lug 8″ from aft end.
- 01/25/2019 – Cut off about 4″ of body tube using Estes tube cutting guide and Exacto knife.
- 01/26/2019 – Glued blade hinge assembly hook together. Glued blade hinge to upper body tube.
- 01/28/2019 – Glued third hinge to body tube. Applied CA to edges of hinge hook surfaces. Cut out of fiber material 3 blade reinforcement pieces. Glued hook pieces into blade slot. Placed 3 blade bend forming templates over blades and CA’d the bend gap. Used accelerant to speed set time of CA.
- 01/29/2019 – Glued cloth reinforcement pieces to bottom of blade bases. Glued upper section to lower section so the blades lie between the fins.
- 01/30/2019 – Cut dowel rod into 3 1/4″ pieces and inserted into holes to hold blades into holders.
- 01/31/2019 – Punched 2 holes opposite each other 6″ from aft end to hold thread break line for blades.
- 02/03/2019 – Placed a rubber band on each hinge for attachment to each of the three blades. This completed construction of the Apogee mini “A” helio roc model rocket #7272. Placed spare rubber bands in instruction folder pouch.