Balsa Machining Services has cloned Estes Astron Invader. The Astron Invader is truly a unique boost-glider that gives top duration in flight after flight.
- Length – 11.8″
- Span – 8.7″
- Diameter – 0.736″
- Weight – 0.89 oz
- Recommended Motors
- 1/2A8-2, A8-3, B8-2
- Parts List
- Body Tube – BT-20J
- Nose Cone – Balsa BNC-20B
- Fin Stock – 4 Sheets – BFS-20
- Fin Stock – 1 Sheet – BFS-40S
- Nose Cone Weight – NCW – 1
- Balancing Weight – NCW – 3
- Launch Lug – LL-2B
- Pattern Sheet – SP-19
- 05/22/2008 – Purchased BMS Astron Invader #K-19 Clone from BMS for $7.00 (Retail $7.00).
- 02/03/2022 – Took pictures of package and components. Scanned all components except body tube, launch lug and clay.
- 02/04/2022 – Measured components and recorded them on pages 94, 96, and 98 of Model Rocket Notes Book #4.
- 02/11/2022 – Glued right & left wing to main wing with Yellow Glue and at an angle determine by use of Dihedrial Brace. Sanded 3 of the rudder edges round. Sanded bottom edge at an 80 degree angle. Glued rudders to disk so it covers entire length.
- 02/12/2022 – Glued Keel and Skit pieces together. Glued engine pylons to Motor mount tube reference lines. Filleted fin joints. Glued Keel to bottom of Disk in middle of disk. When glue dried, filleted the joints with Yellow Glue. Glued Motor mount assembly assemble to disk in middle at top with pylon at front edge of disk and filleted joints. Took pictures of completed Astron Invader BMS Clone. This model still requires paint and decal.
- 03/05/2022 – Spray painted entire model with red primer
- 10/10/2023 – Sanded entire model with 120, 220, & 600 grit sandpaper and wiped with alcohol wiper.
- 10/11/2023 – Spray painted entire model with Krylon #3421 Gloss Pumpkin Orange. Paint bubbled in several spots therefore when paint dried it was sanded with 120 grit sandpaper and re-painted. Sanded bubbles again and covered the spots with Testors #2527 Gloss Orange paint pen. This completed construction of BMS Astron Invader model #K-19. Took picture of finished model.