SEMROC Model #KA-3
This is another one of Semroc’s “retro-repro” offerings–a modern-day release of a classic style rocket, this single stage kit is a nice project for the slightly experienced builder. 2 ST-809 body tubes Tube coupler 18mm motor mount assembly Balsa nose cone Laser-cut balsa fins 12″ plastic chute Kevlar/elastic recovery water slide decal.
- Length: 21.7″
- Diameter: 0.906″
- Weight: 1.2 oz.
- Recovery: 12″ plastic Parachute
- Fin Span: 5.1″
- Recommended Motors:
- A8-5, B6-6, C6-7
- Parts List
- Body Tubes – 2 ST-890
- Motor Mount Tube – ST-730E
- Nose Cone – BC-837
- Fins – Laser Cut FA-3
- Tube Coupler – HTC-8
- Centering Rings – 2 CR-78
- Thrust Ring – TR-7
- Launch Lug – LL-122
- Engine Hook – EH-28
- Screw Eye – SE-10
- Shock Cord – EC-118
- Kevlar Thread – SCK-24
- Parachute – RC-12
- Decal – DKA-3
- 12/29/2003 – Purchased Semroc #KA-3 Squire from Semroc for $10.00 (Retail $10.00).
- 02/04/2022 – Took pictures of package and components. Scanned several components. Measured components and recorded them on Page 100 of Model Rocket Notes Book #4.
- 02/08/2022 – Inserted engine hook into motor mount tube slot. Glued engine block into forward end of motor mount tube even with forward end. Mounted Centering Rings onto motor mount tube with forward centering ring even with end of engine hook and aft centering ring 1″ from aft of motor mount tube. Glued forward portion of fin to main body fin with yellow glue on top of a piece of wax paper. Cut out 2 more aux fins from 1/8″ balsa scrap. Marked aft end of lower body tube for placement of fins. Made a longer mark for main fin reference lines. Glued motor mount assembly into aft end of lower body tube until the lower motor mount centering ring is inside and even with the aft end of the lower body tube. Glued half of tube coupler into lower body tube and then glued the top body tube to the other half of the tube coupler. Moved the Kevlar cord so it protruded out the top of the upper body tube and then tied the white elastic shock cord to it. Glued 2 aux fins to their reference lines on the lower body tube. The aft end of each fin is even with the aft end of the body tube.
- 02/09/2022 – Glued all remaining fins onto reference line of body tube. Glued launch lug along main fin/body tube joint even with forward edge of main fin. Screwed screw eye to base of nose cone and then tied shock cord to screw eye.
- 02/10/2022 – This completes construction of SEMROC Squire model #KA-3, except for paint and decal.
- 02/20/2022 – Spray painted entire model with Black Primer.
- 12/02/2022 – Glued broken fin with yellow glue. Filled missing part of fin with Testors Contour Putty #7561135110. Smoothed out with business caed and allowed to dry.
- 10/18/2023 – Spray painted nose cone with Krylon #1910 True Blue Gloss.
- 10/19/2023 – Masked one fin and body tube.
- 10/20/2023 – Spray painted with Rust-oleum #7762830 Gloss Sunrise Red.