ASP Model #KBBVB-24
The Black Brant VB is a Canadian sounding rocket designed to launch payloads to an altitude of 200 miles. First flown in 1965, over 180 have flown from launch sites all over the world.
The Black Brant VB has long been a favorite of scale modelers. This new scale kit is over two feet tall and features a balsa nose cone, laser-cut basswood fins, water-slide decals and quick-change engine hook. Designed primarily for 24mm C, D & E engines, it can also be flown on selected 18mm engines with an adapter (not included). A bright metallic parachute returns it to the ground for flight after flight.
- Length: 25.9″
- Diameter: 1.385″
- Weight: 3.5 oz.
- Scale: 1:25
- Recovery: 18″ Parachute
- Recommended Motors:
- C11-3, D12-5, E9-6, E12-6, E15-7, E20-7, F44-8
- 06/18/2020 – Purchased ASP Black Brant VB from Jon Rocket for $28.50 (Retail $29.95).
- 06/19/2020 – Took pictures of package and components. Scanned instructions, decal and components.
- 06/29/2020 –Measured components and recorded on page 66 Book #4. Welded engine retainer to aft end of motor mount tube.. filleted aft centering ring joints. Placed Kevlar cord between centering ring and motor mount tube so it extends toward the forward end. Slipper the centering ring 1/2″ from forward end of motor mount tube and filleted joints. Epoxied portion of Kevlar cord on the aft side of the centering ring.
- 07/01/2020 – Filleted forward centering ring joint. Tied shock cord to Kevlar cord. Marked 18″ and 8″ on body tube with fin and launch lug. guide. Marked length of fin offset. Glued smaller body tube 8″ into larger. Glued motor mount assembly into aft end of smaller body tube so the end of tube is flush with end of body tube.
- 07/03/2020 – Air foiled fins and glued along fin line on body tube. Cut and glued fin mounts to fins. Glued launch lug 3-1/2″ from aft end of body tube. Glued and screwed screw eye into bulkhead.
- 07/04/2020 – Glued bulk head into coupler. Filleted launch lug joints.
- 07/05/2020 – Glued tube coupler even with top of 3″ long white body tube. Glued coupler tube assembly into nose cone shoulder and then glued 11/16″ of white body tube over this assembly even with base of nose cone.