ESTES Model #2179
Protect the airspace around your neighborhood from surprise attacks with the Estes Guardian!
This Model Rocket kit was created with a multiple-fin design, representative of the Nike ground to air missiles that were used in our country’s defense for years.
Between 1954 and 1974 many USA cities were ringed by Nike missile sites, intended to protect against attack by enemy bombers. The first versions of the missiles were armed with high explosive warheads, so they could bring down the target even with a near miss.
- Length: 19.13″
- Diameter: 1.33″
- Weight: 2.4 oz.
- Fins: Balsa
- Decals: Self Adhesive
- Altitude: 700′
- Recovery: 12″ Parachute
- Recommended Motors:
- B4-4, B6-4, B6-6, C6-5
- 02/25/2003 – Purchased Estes Guardian from HobbyLinc for $6.99 (Retail $9.99).
- 06/30/2003 – Installed engine holder at 2-3/4″ mark. Glued centering ring at 1-1/2″ mark on engine tube and one at forward end of tube. Glued engine mount assembly into body tube so 3/4″ extends and lined up with launch lug line. Cemented nose cone base to nose cone. Cemented nose cone to end of upper body tube. Filleted rear centering ring/body tube joint. Marked body tube for fin reference lines and glued fins 1-1/2″ from rear of body tube. Cemented adapter to upper body tube. Cut flashing from adapter eyelet. Glued small fins 1-1/2″ from aft end of upper body tube.
- 07/01/2003 – Filleted fin and launch lug joints.
- 07/10/2003 – Filled balsa with balsa filler.
- 11/23/2003 – Spray painted entire model using Krylon Gloss White #1501.
- 06/30/2007 – Printed one upper fin pattern.
- 07/01/2007 – Gut out printed upper fin pattern and glued it to a piece of 0.01″ balsa stock using spray adhesive. Cut out balsa fin and then removed paper. Cut off damaged fin from body tube.
- 07/02/2007 – Removed remaining fin, paint and glue material from body tube using a Dremel tool and emery board. Glued on replacement fin.
- 07/18/2009 – Sanded with 400 grit sandpaper. Masked other areas and spray painted replacement fin with Krylon Gloss White #1501
- 07/20/2009 – Removed masking tape, masked other areas, and spray painted fins Krylon Gloss True Blue #1608.
- 07/21/2009 – Removed masking tape.
- 12/09/2017 – Repaired broken fin.
- 12/10/2022 – Glued broken fin to body tube and filled joint with yellow glue.
- 12/11/2022 – Painted forward end of body tube with Krylan #51601 Gloss Black. This completes the repair of Estes #2179, Guardian model rocket.
- 12/15/2022 – Applied self adhesive decal to model. This completes construction of Estes #2179 Guardian model rocket.