ESTES Model #1301
The Stormcaster is one of the largest Skill Level 1 rockets. It’s an impressive 30 inches tall with sleek good looks.
- Length: 30.25″
- Diameter: 1.64″
- Weight: 2.9 oz.
- Recovery: Parachute
- Recommended Motors:
- C11-3, C11-5, D12-5
- 05/25/2008 – Purchased Estes StormCaster from Hobby Lobby in Greenwood, IN for $9.99 (Retail $11.49).
- 06/01/2002 – Opened kit and checked for all components. All components were included. Took pictures of kit and items. Added measurements and traced fin on page 144 Book #1.
- 06/04/2002 – Marked engine mount tube 1/2″ from each end and 2-1/4″ from aft end. Marked yellow engine spacer tube at 1/2″. Applied glue at 2″ from aft end and slid engine block into position. Cut a 1/8″ slot at the 2-1/4″ mark and inserted the engine retainer hook. Using 1/2″ mark taped the end of holder tube so it was straight on the motor mount tube. Applied glue to this end. Retained motor hook with tape at 1/2″ mark. Placed a centering ring with the holder cut over hte retainer and upon the tube. Filleted centering ring joints. On the other end of the tube, placed a centering ring at the 1/2″ mark and filleted joints. Marked the tube coupler at midpoint and glued it into the body tube. Sanded all three fins.
- 06/05/2002 – Applied a bead of glue 1/4″ inside the slotted tab and pushed the motor mount assembly into the aft end of the body tube flush. Filleted the upper centering ring/body tube joint. Glued the upper body tube to the coupler. Marked the body tube for launch lugs and glued them to the body tube. Tied a snap swivel to the parachute. Cut the launch lug in half.
- 06/06/2002 – Glued launch lugs along reference line with one flush with the aft end and other flush with the aft end of the upper body tube. Filleted joints.
- 06/09/2002 – Glued fins to engine tube through body tube slots. Filleted fin joints. Glued shock cord to anchor and glued anchor to inside of body tube at least 1″ from the forward end of the upper body tube end.
- 09/24/2002 – Spray painted entire rocket with Gloss White Krylon #1501.
- 10/07/2002 – Spray painted fins and nose cone Yellow.
- 11/21/2003 – Applied blue painters tape over yellow paint and painted Gray.
- 11/22/2003 – Spray painted lower area with Krylon #1806 Sun Yellow several times. Removed tape.
- 12/28/2003 – Painted over the damaged gray area with Krylon #1608 Gloss Smoke Gray.
- 01/25/2004 – Applied self adhesive decals using picture card as a guide. This completes construction of Estes StormCaster model rocket #1301.