ESTES Model #2176
This fun rocket is a big, two stag payloader. The Echostar has a clear payload section to store cargo during flight.
- Length: 29″
- Diameter: 1.33″
- Weight: 3.6 oz.
- Fins: Die Cut Balsa
- Recovery: 18″ Parachute
- Recommended Motors:
- Only Upper Stage
- B4-4, B6-4, C6-5
- Upper with Payload
- B4-2, B6-2, C6-5
- Two Stage Upper
- B6-6, C6-7
- Two Stage Lower
- B6-0, C6-0
- Only Upper Stage
- 05/07/2001 – Purchased Estes Echostar from HobbyLinc for $13.69 (Retail $19.99)
- 12/02/2001 – Opened kit and found all parts to be there. Scanned in plans, fin and decal sheet. Printed tube marking guide and shock cord mount and cut them out. Sanded all balsa pieces. Cemented nose cone base to nose cone and then cemented it into the upper of the clear payload section. Cemented sleeve to other end. Marked booster tube and upper body tube. Glued centering rings to both ends of blue engine tube and filleted them. Marked long engine tube 1/2″ for each end and glued centering ring at marks and then filleted both sides. Marked yellow motor spacer tube 1/4″ from end. Smeared glue 2″ into rear of long engine tube and set engine block in place with yellow spacer tube. Removed fins from balsa sheet, rounded leading edge and tapered trailing edge of each fin. Marked fin placement on booster and upper stage along with placement of launch lug. Glued fins in place and filleted joints.
- 12/03/2001 – Continued filleting fins on upper part of sustainer stage. Glued shock cord to mount and then inside the top of the sustainer by about 2″.
- 12/04/2001 – Cut launch lug in half and glued each in place. Filleted launch lug joints.
- 09/28/2002 – Spray painted both stages White and nose cone Black.
- 10/20/2002 – Spray painted sustainer stage with Yellow twice.
- 10/21/2002 – Painted upper body tube and fins Yellow again. Painted tube and fins above adapter Harbor Blue. Painted first stage Harbor Blue.
- 10/24/2002 – Spray painted lower body tube of upper stage Black.
- 11/23/2003 – Measured decal sheet to be 12-1/2″ x 5″.
- 11/31/2003 – Repainted adapter with Plasti-Kote #9117PS. Applied decals.
- 12/01/2003 – Retied shock cord to body tube adapter and attached payload section to top of adapter. This completes construction of Estes Echostar model rocket #2176.