ESTES Model #1997
This magnificent model resembles a real sounding rocket used in testing upper atmospheric conditions.
- Length: 42.25″
- Diameter: 1.637″
- Weight: 3.18 oz.
- Recovery: 2 12″ Parachutes
- Recommended Motors:
- 06/24/2000 – Purchased Estes Pathfinder from Joe’s Hobby Barn for $9.49 (Retail $10.39)
- 02/21/2002 – Removed parts from plastic bag and found all parts present. Took pictures of kit.
- 02/22/2002 – Scanned instructions, decal, fin, nose cone, adaptor, and engine block. Marked 24mm engine tube 1″ & 2-1/2″ from aft. Made 1/8″ slot at 2-1/2″ mark, inserted one end of engine retainer and put two wraps of tape at the 1″ mark. Slid the centering ring with notch over the engine retainer up to the masking tape. Filleted the ring on both sides. Attached the other centering ring to the motor mount tube up against the forward end of the retainer and filleted. Glued engine mount assembly into the body tube.
- 02/23/2002 – Cut out copy of body tube marking guide and shock cord anchor. Cut launch lug in half and sanded round leading edge of fin and tapered training edge of fin. Marked the fin guidelines on body tube.
- 02/24/2002 – Marked fin lines 1″ from aft end of body tube and glued all four fins to the body tube from the 1″ mark and forward. Glued launch lugs 3/4″ from each end of body tube. Cemented adaptor to upper body tube. Affixed nose cone to upper body tube with masking tape. Replaced the rubber shock cord with elastic cord. Filleted body tube joints. Completed one of the 12″ plastic parachutes. Cut the shroud lines into thirds. Put reinforcing discs on each corner of parachute. Punched a small hole in disc material. Tied each shroud line forming a loop with the adjacent hole. Tied a snap swivel to the center of the shroud lines for easy attachment and removal of parachute. Glued shock cord to mount and then to inside of body tube by at least 2″ from forward edge. Filleted launch lug joints.
- 10/15/2002 – Painted fins an lower body tube Orange and painted upper body tube and nose cone Silver.
- 11/24/2003 – Repainted White sections.
- 11/21/2003 – Using blue masking tape, covered the white paint stripes so the silver areas could be repainted.
- 11/22/2003 – Spray painted the lower section near the fins with Krylon #2402 Citrus Orange. Spray painted the upper section with Color Place #20012 Silver Aluminum several time to fill in the areas where the paint was removed with the masking tape during the last paint session. When the paint was dry removed masking tape. It pulled off most of the paint underneath it. No progress was mode on this model.
- 01/26/2004 – Cut out waterslide decals and applied to model using the picture card as a guide. This completes construction of Estes Pathfinder model rocket # 1997. Took pictures of finished model.