QUEST Model #2013
Cool sounding rocket design features two simulated strap-on boosters!
Flights to 700 feet!
- Length: 18.625″
- Diameter: 1.37″
- Weight: 1.87oz.
- Plastic nose cones
- Die Cut Balsa Fins
- Recovery: 14″ parachute
- Recommended Motors:
- A6-4, B6-4, C6-5
- 02/25/2003 – Purchased Quest Proteus from Hobbylinc for $8.09 (Retail $9.99)
- 04/30/2003 – Took pictures of bag and kit parts. Scanned fin stock, nose cone, decal and plans. Measured parts and recorded on page 60 Book #2.
- 05/02/2003 – Filleted centering ring joints. Sanded edges of all four fins. Sanded leading edges round and trailing edges tapered. Sanded root edge smooth.
- 05/04/2003 – Glued engine mount into body tube. Made copy of body tube marking guide, cut out guide and marked body tube.
- 05/06/2003 – Cut 2 standoff for pod tubes from scrap fin balsa sheet and shaped as per picture in plans on page 3. Sanded standoffs with aide of holding pad. Glued first fin to body tube with Elmer’s Yellow Glue. Cemented black nose cone into base with Testors Cement for Plastic Models #3512. Glued second fin onto body tube. Glued third fin onto body tube. Glued fourth fin onto body tube. Remarked the tube and reglued the first fin on the new fin line. Removed excess plastic flange from nose cone eyelette. Marked rear of tube and glued the short of the standoffs to the body tube. Marked the lines 1/4″ from the rear of the body tube. Glued one standoff along the guide line so rear of standoff is on the 1/4″ mark. Glued the second standoff to body tube.
- 05/07/2003 – Filleted 2 fin joints. Filleted the second fin joint group. Filleted the third and fourth set.
- 05/08/2003 – Glued nose cone to body tubes. Glued launch lug 6″ from rear of main body tube between two fins. Filleted launch lug joints. Applied 6 self adhesive Tyvek gripper tabs over the shroud line holes in the 14″ parachute corners. Tied each shroud line to the parachute hole and then tied a snap swivel to them.
- 07/01/2003 – Coated fins with balsa filler.
- 07/09/2003 – Sanded balsa filler with 400 grit sandpaper.
- 07/10/2003 – Applied second coat of balsa filler to balsa.
- 07/12/2003 – Sanded filler smooth with 400 grit sandpaper
- 11/23/2003 – Mask black nose cone with blue masking tape and spray painted model with Krylon Gloss White #1501.
- 12/28/2003 – Masked black nose cones on side tubes and painted main body tube and fins with Krylon Gloss Sun Yellow #1806 and the nose cone with Krylon Gloss Rich Plum #1914. Wiped nose cone with damp rag and dried with paper towel and then the sun before painting.
- 04/29/2004 – Rocket was laying on desk when a drawer front fell from its perch and landed on the Proteus about midway on the body tube. It crushed the body tube and the forward edge of the launch lug. The yellow paint of the body tube and launch lug peelled off.
- 05/02/2004 – In an effort to save the model, stubbed the BT-56 with a length of BT-55. This helped the body tubes round out but still have some wrinkles from the accident. Will attempt to remove the loose paint and smooth out the wrinkles as best as possible.
- 05/10/2004 – Applied balsa filler to nose cone and fins.
- 05/24/2004 – Sanded balsa filler with 220 grit sandpaper.
- 06/03/2004 – Applied another coat of balsa filler.