The Goliath was designed to be an entry level cluster payload rocket. The Goliath was inspired by the early Estes Ranger kit.
The retro Goliath was updated to using laser cut balsa fins and Kevlar shock cord attachment. The design of the Goliath provides many different possibilities of engine options. A three 18mm cluster, or a 24mm single motor.
- Length: 23.90″
- Diameter: 1.64″
- Weight: 5.00oz.
- Decals: Waterslide
- Fin: Balsa
- Nose Cone: Balsa
- Recommended Motors:
- 3 x C6-7, C8-5, D12-5
- 03/08/2004 – Purchased Semroc Goliath from Semroc for $15.00 (Retail $15.00)
- 05/21/2005 – Opened kit after taking pictures of packaged kit. Took pictures of components and instructions.
- 05/22/2005 – Scanned and measured various components, literature, and decal.
- 05/24/2005 – Marked 18mm white engine mount tube, applied glue along one line and aligned the lines and ends of both tubes. Marked large body tube with Estes Fin Guide and drew the four fin guide lines the length of the body tube.
- 05/25/2005 – Filleted one side of two motor tubes. Filleted second side.
- 05/26/2005 – Reapplied glue fillet to first fillet to fill in holes. Filleted holes in second fillet. Marked third 18mm motor mount tube where it touched the other two and glued in place. Filleted both sides of this tube.
- 05/27/2005 – Filled in fillet holes in second and third fillet joints.
- 05/28/2005 – Filled holes in second joint again.
- 05/29/2005 – Made a 1/8″ deep gauge using an old yellow motor tube that already had a 1/4″ mark on it. Glued engine block into engine mount assembly. Tied Kevlar cord around one of the engine blocks and then glued it along with the others to a depth of 1/8″ inside the end of the engine mount tubes. Ran a ring of yellow glue around the inside of the large body tube and inserted the engine mount assembly even with the rear of the body tube. Allowed the unit to dry overnight. Rounded the leading edge of the fins and tapered the trailing edge of the fins. Smoothed the laser nibs from the root edge of each fin.
- 06/04/2005 – Mixed up equal parts of 2 hour epoxy in separate containers. Added micro balloons to each until fairly thick. Added them together and mixed. Poured the contents into one of the void areas between the motor tubes. The mixture oozed out of the void and into the motor tubes. What a mess. Knocked out the wax paper and disc that was holding it in jplace and put it over a garbage can to chip it out. Using paper towel, wiped inside of tubes as best as could.
- 06/10/2005 – Filled areas between motor tubes and body tube with nhp mico fill model filler obtained from Joe’s Hobby Barn. (10 ox @ $4.89) on 06/08/2005.
- 06/22/2005 – Sanded filler ajnd glued 3 fins onto body tube.
- 06/23/2005 – Glued 4th fin onto body tube.
- 06/27/2005 – Glued bulkhead to payload section and allowed to dry. Glued launch lug to upper portion of wing joint.
- 06/28/2005 – Filleted launch lug joints. Attached shock cord to Kevlar. Cut out parachute, tied shroud lines and attached a snap swivel.
- 09/03/2005 – Cleaned nose cone with a damp sponge, allowed to dry and spray painted with Krylon Gloss Black several times. Spray painted lower areas with Krylon Gloss White #1501.
- 07/18/2009 – removed black nose cone and spray painted body tube and fins Krylon Gloss White #15011.
- 07/20/2009 – Masked body tube and spray painted fins Krylon True Blue #1910. Paint cracked on fins. Sanded fins to remove.
- 07/23/2009 – Repainted fins with Krylon True Blue #1910.
- 07/30/2009 – Applied waterslide decal. This completes construction of Semroc Goliath model rocket.