For those who love to see a short, fat rocket with slow lift offs, the Sumo is it! A big four inch diameter kit with impressive decals, the SUMO really stands out!
Length: 39”/99 cmDiameter: 4.0”/10.1 cmWeight (without motor): 32oz/907gmsFins: 4 Product No. 89024
- 10/26/2001 – Purchased model from Hobbylinc for $88.59 (Retail – $129.95)
- 03/11/2002 – Checked parts list and found all parts in the kit. Took pictures of the kit. Decal measured 19″ x 18″. Marked motor tube at 4″ an 1-15/16″ for location of the fin lok rings. Placed motor retainer thru fin lok and the motor tube and then placed middle centering rings between end of and fin lok ring. Mounted ring and fin lok with retain into motor tube so the rear end is even with 4″ mesh. Placed other fin lok so the forward end is even with 1-15/16″ mark. Slit motor tube 1/4″ at 90 degrees of each other. Epoxied centering ring fin lok and gas baffle into place. Epoxied forward centering ring on baffle flange.
- 03/12/2002 – Epoxied fins to motor mount assembly. Epoxied fin assembly to body tube. Epoxied forward centering ring to body tube.
- 03/13/2002 –Epoxied rear fin/fin lok section. Epoxied middle centering ring to body tube. Tied shock cord to screw eye and baffle/line.
- 03/14/2002 – Epoxied rear centering ring to body tube.
- 03/15/2002 – Epoxied piston cap 3/8″ inside piston sleeve.
- 03/16/2002 – Epoxied launch lug to body tube and held in place with masking tape. Applied epoxy to piston disk where a slit developed around the edge. Attached buckle 6′ from forward enge of body tube on shock cord. Threaded the piston with disk forward on shock cord thru the disk slot. Attached second buckle 21″ from forward end of piston. Attached 42″ yellow parachute about one foot from the nose cone on the shroud line. Tied the shock cord into the body tube. Model is awaiting for fin fillets and painting.
- 06/28/2003 – Sprayed entire model with Krylon Gray Primer.
- 08/26/2006 – Painted entire model with Krylon Gloss Red #2108.
- 09/25/2006 – Masked body tube and spray painted fins with Krylon Gray P)rime #1318
- 09/26/2006 – Spray painted fins with Krylon #1806 Sun Yellow Gloss. Allowed to dry and then removed masking tape.
- 09/28/2006 – Cut out and applied self adhesive decals. Took pictures of completed rocket. This completes construction of the Aerotech Sumo model rocket #89024.