Inspired by a popular video game series, this is our rendition of a shoulder launched missile of the future. This stout kit features unique military styling and decals, with a simulated armor piercing nosecone design. This sport kit was designed with short duration high thrust motors in mind but it can be flown on most 38mm motors. Tough and stout, this rocket is great for L1 certifications and is even tough enough for a J motor if you dare.
Instructions include Rocksim stability data courtesy of Apogee Components. This kit also features a Binder Design exclusive…..Modular fin can assembly instructions!
This kit includes pre-slotted airframe for an easier build, and comes with a fin alignment guide!
DIAMETER : 4 inches
LENGTH : 33 inches
MOTOR MOUNT : 38mm
RECOVERY : Recovery harness
FINS : 1/4″ Aircraft Birch Plywood
GUIDANCE: Binder Design Delrin rail buttons
RECOMMENDED MOTORS: H through J
- 12/08/2007 – Purchased model from Merlin Missiles for $67.50 (Retail $74.99)
- 01/18/2008 – Using JB Weld, epoxied the motor retainer to the motor mount tube and allowed to cure.
- 01/19/2008 – Scanned in pictures. Made measurements and recorded them on page 83 of Book #3. Sanded bulk head and centering ring to fit 4″ tube. Epoxied larger Centering Ring to aft end of motor mount tube with 30 minute epoxy. (this emptied the bottle) Sanded the smaller Centering Ring and epoxied it to the forward side of the larger Centering Ring at the aft end of the motor tube.
- 01/20/2008 – Cut body tube slots into the body tube. Sanded upper centering ring to fit body tube and motor mount tubes. Placed upper centering ring ov er tube and test fit each fin into body tube slots. Using wood clamp and wood vice to hold clamp, secured fins into clamp and planed the fin tab to fit the body tube. After sizing the fin tabs, used the file to round the leading and training fin edges with dremel tool. Finished the rounding with a strip of 100 grit sandpaper. Removed upper centering ring and motor mount tube assembly from body tube. using 15 minute epoxy, affixed the upper tip of nose cone with 100 mesh sandpaper. Using epoxy, secured the tip of the nose cone to main nose cone. Epoxied fins to body tube and motor mount tube. Affixed screw eye to bulk head.
- 01/21/2008 – Filleted fins/body tube joints with 5 minute epoxy. Filleted nose cone tip to nose cone body with 5 minute epoxy. Ran out of Hobby Lobby 5 minute epoxy. Finished fillets with Duco 5 minute epoxy.
- 01/22/2008 – Filleted inside of nose cone tip.
- 01/23/2008 – Drilled #26 size hole in body tube along launch lug line at 1/2″ for 8″ toward aft end of body tube. Epoxied bolts into body tube.
- 05/04/2008 – Sprayed model with Krylon Gray Primer.
- 07/17/2008 – Sanded model with 400 mesh sandpaper and wiped down with Paper towel. Spray painted entire model with Krylon #8143 camouflage olive drab.
- 07/19/2008 – Applied vinyl decals and took pictures of completed rocket. This completes construction of the Binder Design 38mm high power rocket, Jackhammer.