Estes’ Meteor Masher soars into the sky carrying three deep space cluster bombs
- Length: 27″
- Diameter: 1.33″
- Weight: 4.0 oz.
- Fins: Die cut balsa
- Decals: Self Adhesive
- Altitude: 490′
- Recommended Motors:
- B4-2, B4-4, B6-2, B6-4, C6-3, 6-5
- 03/27/2004 – Purchased Estes Meteor Masher from Hobby Lobby in Columbus, IN for $5.79 (Retail $12.99)
- 06/15/2003 – Took pictures of package and contents. Scanned some of the parts. Measured some of the parts and recorded them on page 70 Book #2. Made copy of tube marking guide from first page of plans.
- 06/16/2003 – Scanned components, measured components and traced fins and rings on page 70 Book 2.
- 06/17/2003 – Cut tube marking guide and shock cord mount from copied page of instructions. Sanded fins and glued fin tips to main fin. Marked piston tube with guide and cut out circle in tube. Removed guide, and glued split ring inside rear portion of piston tube. Ran a bead of glue behind the 1-1/4″ mark and slide the large ring through the glue to the 1-1/4″ mark. Glued the other larger green ring to the end of the tube with the split ring. Cut out the disc from the sheet and glued it to one of the small rings. Using the internal tube marking guide drew a line the length of the body tube for the launch lug and engine hook. On the launch lug line marked a 3-1/4″ from the front and 1/2″, 1″ and 4″ for the rings. Glued a small centering ring at the 1-1/4″ and at the forward end. Glued the dowel rod along the launch lug line butted against the centering ring. Slid the piston assembly over the internal tube and against the centering ring after gluing the dowel to protrude through the split in the small ring. Glued the centering ring at the 4″ mark. Cut a 1/8″ slit at the 2-1/2″ marked and inserted the engine holder. Slid the mylar ring over the retainer up to the 1″ mark. Glued the other centering ring at the 1/2″ mark on the engine tube and with the slot lined up with the clip. Glued the launch lug to the stand off along the launch lug line at 3-1/4″ mark. Filleted both centering ring joints. Wrapped lower body tube marking guide around lower body tube and marked fins and launch lug the full length of the body tube. Filleted both sides of the launch lug stand joint.
- 06/18/2003 – Cut out cener of satellite retainer with knife and Dremel tool so they would fit over body tube. Cemented satellite retainer over lower body so it is aligned with fin guide lines and end of body tube is even with inside packet. Cemented the upper body tube the same way with the second satellite retainer.
- 06/19/2003 – Glued fins to lower body tube and then filleted joints.
- 06/20/2003 – Glued lower then upper body tube to internal body tube structure.
- 06/23/2003 – Painted upper and lower body tubes dark blue #1211. Spray painted fins dark blue #1211. Spray painted all three satellites Color Place #20003 Sun Yellow.
- 06/24/2003 – Sprayed second coat of dark blue on upper and lower body tubes and fins. Painted satellite with paint pens Silver and Blue.
- 06/25/2003 – Painted nose cone Black. Painted satellites different pen colors.
- 07/12/2003 – Painted mid section Gloss Black.
- 07/13/2003 – Applied self adhesive decals using water with drop of soap to help align decals before they stuck on model. Took pictures of model. Applied masking tape to the outer edges and attempted to paint the area yellow using a paint pen. It was hard getting an even coat.