SQUIRREL WORKS Model #SW-018
Nick Adams is known for his unusual and graceful rocket designs and the second Signature Series kit, the Interstellar Probe, is a perfect example.
Launched eons ago by an advanced alien civilization, the Interstellar Probe’s purpose is to catalog everything encountered in the far reaches of space and to autonomously return home to its creators after exploring the galaxy and beyond for thousands of years. The onboard sensor and navigation systems have recorded countless worlds during its voyage, possibly even our own.
- Length: 24.25″
- Body Diameter: 0.976″
- Weight: 1.9 oz
- Recommended Engines:
- A8-3, B4-4, B6-4, C6-5
- Over 30 Laser-Cut Balsa Parts
- Balsa Nose Cone
- 3 Paper Transitions
- Water Slide Decals
- Mylar Parachute
- 03/02/2006 – Purchased Squirrel Works Interstellar Probe from Squirrel Works for $26.95 (Retail $26.95).
- 07/25/2006 – Copied shroud and tube marking guide pages and cut them out.
- 07/27/2006 – Marked motor tube at 1-5/8″,2-1/2″ & 5-5/8″. Glued engine block at 2-1/2″ mark. Cut a 1/8″ slot at 2-1/2″ mark and inserted engine clip hook. Glued centering rings at 1-5/8″ and 5-5/8″ marks. Filleted one side of each centering ring.
- 07/28/2006 – Filleted other side of centering rings. Marked main body tube using fin template guide. Drew fin guide lines on body tube using guide marks and a door jamb as guide. Marked main body tube at 1-1/4″, 2-1/2″, 7-5/8″, 8-3/4″, & 16-1/2″. Glued adapter ring even with aft end of main body tube. Glued shroud together with yellow glue. Glued shroud to aft ring. Glued other shroud together. Added two black file rings to body tube and slid other shroud onto body tube. Affixed another centering ring at 8-3/4″ mark and allowed glue to dry.
- 07/29/2006 – Glued other shroud to 8-3/4″ centering ring. Glued a centering ring at 7-7/8″ and filleted joints. Glued centering ring at 7-5/8″ mark and filleted joints. Glued fifth centering ring to forward end of fourth centering ring. Glued third shroud together and then to body tube. sanded main fin root and leading edges round and tapered. Rounded dowel rod tips and glued to smaller opposite edge so 1-3/4″ extended over aft edge.
- 07/30/2006 – Glued main fin assembly to body tube. Sanded each of 3 aft fins flat on root edge and rounded leading edge. Glued fine spike centered on aft fins and glued aft fin assembly at 2-1/2″ mark. Filleted fin joints. Using launch lug standoff guide balsa strip, marked on wing 2-3/4″ from rear, placed guide along fin and in line with mark. Glued launch lug on wing.
- 07/31/2006 – Filleted launch lug joints and glued forward fins to body tube.
- 08/01/2006 – Glued vane to engine mount tube next to engine clip. Glued motor mount assembly into main body tube with vane aligned with main fin.
- 08/02/2006 – Glued all 12 vanes to motor tube aft end. Sanded 6 disks free from laser tabs and glued to lower shroud centering each on the shroud.. Sanded and glued strips on third shroud in line with main and alt fins. Glued shock cord to mount and then inside forward edge of main body tube at least 2″ from forward end.
- 06/30/2007 – Printed fin sheet.
- 07/01/2007 – Cut the fin sheet pattern an attached to a 0.076″ thick balsa fin stock with spray adhesive. Removed the paper from the balsa after cutting out all the fins with a razor knife and straight edge. Cut off all old motor fins.
- 07/02/2007 – Removed remaining fins and glue from body tube using dremel and emery board.
- 02/02/2008 – Glued 2 of 12 motor tube vanes to motor tube aft end.
- 02/04/2008 – Glued another 4 vanes to motor tube.
- 02/05/2008 – Glued remaining vanes with Elmer’s Yellow Wood Glue.
- 05/04/2008 – Sprayed with Krylon Gray Primer.
- 03/31/2020 – Cut off broken dowel rod from one of the fins.
- 04/01/2020 – Sanded end of fine where dowel rod is connected.
- 04/04/2020 – Cut wooden dowel rod to length, rounded both ends and glued to end of fin.
- 04/12/2020 – Painted entire model Krylon Gloss White.
- 07/21/2021 – Spray painted model with Gloss White Krylon Primer.
- 11/21/2022 – Spray painted aft end with Krylon #3429 Gloss White.