SQUIRREL WORKS Model #SW-017
In the late 60’s and early 70’s we were going to the moon, Mars was just around the corner and supersonic air travel was going to be commonplace. Inspired by SST concepts from that era, the Firebird will be the star of any fleet. The kit features a balsa nose cone, laser cut balsa fins, water slide decals and a mylar parachute.
- Length: 21.0″
- Body Diameter: 0.976″
- Weight: 1.7 oz
- Recommended Engines:
- A6-4, A8-3, B4-4, B6-4, C6-5
- Laser-Cut Fins
- Balsa Nose Cone
- Water Slide Decals
- Mylar Parachute
- 02/27/2006 – Purchased Squirrel Works Firebird SuperSonic Transport form Squirrel Works for $19.95 (Retail $19.95).
- 11/26/2002 – Cut out shock cord mount yesterday and glued shock cord to it today. Slued shock cord unit into forward end of body tube so it extends at least 1-1/2″ inside the body tube. Allowed unit to dry. Test fit engine mount unit and fins into body tube through fin slots. Glued fins in place and filleted one side of fin joints. Filleted second fin set joints, third set of fin joints and finally the fourth set of fin joints. Glued launch lug to body tube 7-1/2″ from aft end of tube along guideline. Filleted launch lug joints.
- 07/01/2020 – Coated balsa fins with balsa filler.
- 07/08/2020 – Sanded fins with 400 grit sandpaper.
- 07/10/2020 – Coated fins with second coat of balsa filler.
- 07/12/2020 – Sanded fins with 400 grit sandpaper.
- 11/22/2003 – Spray painted entire model with Krylon #1501 White Gloss.
- 12/12/2003 – Cut out self adhesive decals just inside the dotted lines so the lines do not show. Placed the decals in position and pressed in place. Used the placecard to determine placement of decals on model. This completes construction of Estes Firebird Model Rocket #2138.