SQUIRREL WORKS Model #SW-017
In the late 60’s and early 70’s we were going to the moon, Mars was just around the corner and supersonic air travel was going to be commonplace. Inspired by SST concepts from that era, the Firebird will be the star of any fleet. The kit features a balsa nose cone, laser cut balsa fins, water slide decals and a mylar parachute.
- Length: 21.0″
- Body Diameter: 0.976″
- Weight: 1.7 oz
- Recommended Engines:
- A6-4, A8-3, B4-4, B6-4, C6-5
- Laser-Cut Fins
- Balsa Nose Cone
- Water Slide Decals
- Mylar Parachute
- 02/27/2006 – Purchased Squirrel Works Firebird SuperSonic Transport form Squirrel Works for $19.95 (Retail $19.95).
- 07/03/2006 – Took pictures of package and components. Scanned some components.
- 07/08/2006 – Cut 1/8″ slot 1/4″ from forward end of motor mount tube. Inserted engine holder and held in place with tape. Removed centering rings from card stock. Measured 1/2″ from both engine tube ends. Glued thrust block even with forward end of motor tube. Glued both centering rings at 1/2″ marks and filleted both joints with yellow glue. Tied a piece of 100# Kevlar cord to the forward end of the retainer clip. Made a copy of body tube making guide and cut it out. Marked rear of body tube and extended lines with aide if door jamb. Glued motor mount assembly 1/4″ inside rear end of body tube. Tied shock cord to Kevlar cord.
- 07/09/2006 – Removed wings from balsa stock, sanded edges and glued them to body tube with yellow glue. Used tube marking guide to aide in placement. Filleted wing joints. Glued pods on wing tips with yellow glue.
- 07/10/2006 – Glued rudder to main body tube with yellow glue.
- 07/12/2006 – Glued faring to rudder and body tube. Filleted joints. Rounded ends of dowel rods.
- 07/13/2006 – Glued dowel rod to top of rudder.
- 07/14/2006 – Glued stabilizer to wooden dowel on rudder. Glued cannules to main body tube 3″ from forward end of main body tube and filleted joints. Cut launch lug in half and glued one half even with rear of body tube and the other half 3-1/2″ from rear of body tube along launch lug reference line.
- 07/15/2006 – Filleted launch lug joints.