NCR Model #3508
High Impulse North Coast Rocketry mid powered rocket is easy to build and fly. The 4″ diameter stubby completed model looks great with its 17″ pre-slotted Smoke Gray airframe & fins and Gloss Black Nose Cone. Construction consisted of quality sturdy parts that is found only in top notch kits. This would be a good kit for level 1 & 2 certifications.
- Length: 33.3″
- Diameter: 3.96″
- Weight: 16 oz
- # of Fins: 4
- Nose Cone: 4:1 Ogive
- Recovery: 24″ Parachute
- Altitude: 1000′
- Recommended Motors:
- F62-4, G70-5
- Parts List
- Nose Cone, NC-39P1 – 72801
- Airframe Tube, BT-39-17SL – 31752
- Shock Cord (1/2″ x 72″), SC-1/2-72 – 87255
- Parachute (24″) PARA-24 – 35814
- Motor Tube, MT-11-6 – 30138
- Centering Rings (3), CR-39-11 – 37935
- Motor Retainer, MR-1 – 37935
- Launch Lugs (2) (1/4″ x 1″), LL-1/4-1 – 38179
- Gorilla Shock Cord Mount Set, GOR-12 – 87253
- Loop/Sleeve Connector (2) – 38394
- Steel Cable – 38395
- Plywood Fins (4), – 32184
- Decal Sheet – 37706
- 04/09/1999 – Purchased NCR Big Brute from Hobbylinc for $38.79 (Retail – $59.99)
- 11/27/2002 – Opened kit after taking picture of box. Cut a piece of 29mm motor tube to 6″ for replacement.
- 12/01/2002 – Enlarged center holes so 29mm tube would fit. (NCR centering rings were made for 28mm motors.) Scuffed outgside ring edges with 100 grit sandpaper. Marked centering line between fin slots using launch lug guide. Marked center line on motor mount tube. Epoxied rear centering ring flush with rear of motor mount tube. Epoxied rear centering ring flush with rear of motor mount tube and lined up with center line. The flat side of the ring was facing forward. Epoxied middle centering ring about 3″ above rear centering ring. Checked position with fin before epoxy was applied. Flat side of centering ring was facing forward. Again used centering ring line on motor mount tube. Extended slots 1/4″. Checked fin position to be flush with rear of body tube in all four slots. Hat to clean up a couple of slot widths with 100 grit sandpaper. Extended slots were marked by measuring 1/4″ beyond each slot forward of the existing slots and cutting slot with exacto knife. Made curved end by rounding a piece of balsa wood and placing sandpaper over balsa to sand shape of end. Allowing epoxy to set on first two rings before proceeding to forward ring placement. Marked motor mount tube 1/2″ from forward edge. Epoxxied forward centering ring 1/2″ from forward edge of tube. Epoxied forward centering ring on motor mount tube.
- 12/02/2002 – Threaded the Gorella shock cord mount wire through the holes in the forward centering ring and through the sleeve connector. Crimped the plug afte pulling the loop tight to the centering ring. Made another loop at the other end and crimped the sleeve in place. Tied shock cord to upper loop. Left the shock cord folded up with the rubber band. Marked wooden dowel rod at 3-1/2″ from end and the distance from rear ring and rear body tube. Made another set of marks 5-3/8″ from end and the distance from the rear ring and rear body tube. Epoxied so it was 5-3/8″ from rear of ring and 3-1/2″ from rear ring and on line were rear ring will be positioned inside of body tube. Covered shock cord with plastic baf and covered wire with tape. Checked to assure fins would fit in slots and allowed epoxy to set overnight.
- 12/03/2002 – Fitted rear centering ring to inside body tube. Using dremel tool, created rounded edges in plywood fins. Taped root edge with 2″ masking tape.
- 07/24/2003 – Sanded fins with 400 grit sandpaper.
- 08/18/2003 – Wiped fins with damp sponge and allowed to dry. Sprayed fins with a second coat of Krylon #1318 Gray Primer.
- 04/03/2023 – Sanded with 80, 120 and 600 grit sandpapers and then wiped with alcohol wipers. Spray painted nose cone with Rust-oleum # 254146 gloss black. Spray painted body tube and fins with Rust-oleum #7786 smoke gay but ran out during spraying
- 04/04/2023 – Finished spray painting Body Tube & Fins with Rust-oleum #7708 gloss smoke gray. Re-sprayed nose cone with Rust-oleum #254146 gloss black.
- 04/05/2023 – Removed nose cone masking. Cut self-adhesive decals from decal sheet. Took pictures of painted model.
- 04/06/2023 – Applied decals as per photo sheet. This completes NCR #3588, Big Brute mid power rocket. Took pictures of completed rocket.