flis kits Model #SP004
Small and light, the Flea is a simple rocket that can fly on 1/2A up to C motors! This will be a limited edition release and when they are gone, they are gone! It is also a good learning rocket where you cut the fins – but the shape is not complex. Stick on decals make for quick and simple finishing touches.
Length: 10.6" Diameter: 0.736" Fin Span: 3.64" Weight: 0.35 oz Recovery: Streamer Recommended Engines: 1/2A6-2, A8-3, B6-4, C6-5
- 12/29/2003 – Purchased FlisKits Flea from FlisKits for $8.05 (Retail – $8.95)
- 02/18/2004 – Took pictures of package and then contents. Scanned plans, template, decals, display card, and nose cone. Measurements were logged into page 112 of Book #2. Cut out fins using fin pattern. Since the first fins were cut improperly, had to recopy and recut them. One of the second group broke so had to cut another to replace it. Sanded fins leading edge round and tapered training edge. Sanded aft surfaces with 320 grit sandpaper, then 400 grit and finally 600 grit. Changed the recovery device anchor. Instead of attaching the shock cord to the mount and then inside the tube, the shock cord is tied to a 12″ piece of 100 lb Kevlar cord which is anchored to the engine block. Tied the Kevlar and shock cord together. Glued the 4 fins to the body tube using the guide lines. Filleted each fin joint with Elmer’s Yellow Glue. Glued launch lug along marked guideline and 1-1/2″ from the rear of the body tube. Glued and screwed the screw eye into the base of the balsa nose cone.
- 02/18/2004 – Filleted launch lug joints. Added tape disk to streamer, punched a hole and then tied a piece of shroud line through the hole. A snap swivel was tied to the other end. Sanded the shoulder of the nose cone and placed it on the body tube. The node cone still fit tight and may require additional sanding. Model is now ready for balsa filler and then paint.
- 05/10/2004 – Applied balsa filler to fins and nose cone.
- 05/24/2004 – Sanded balsa filler with 220 grit sandpaper.
- 06/03/2004 – Applied a second coat of balsa filler.
- 08/26/2006 – Spray painted model with Krylon #1806 Sun Yellow.