The Black Brant VB is a Canadian sounding rocket designed to launch payloads to an altitude of 200 miles. First flown in 1965, over 180 have flown from launch sites all over the world.
The Black Brant VB has long been a favorite of scale modelers. This new scale kit is over two feet tall and features a balsa nose cone, laser-cut basswood fins, water-slide decals and quick-change engine hook. Designed primarily for 24mm C, D & E engines, it can also be flown on selected 18mm engines with an adapter (not included). A bright metallic parachute returns it to the ground for flight after flight.
Length: 25.9″/65.8 cm
Diameter: 1.385″/35.2 mm
Weight: 3.5 oz/99 gm
18″ Parachute Recovery
Scale: approx. 1/12.5 (0.080)
Skill Level: Intermediate
Requires 3/16″ Launch Rod
Center of Pressure: 18.75″ from tip of nose
Recommended Engines: C11-3; D12-5; E9-6; E12-6; E15-7; E20-7; F44-8; with an 18/24 Adapter (not included): D16-6
- 06/18/2020 – Purchased ASP rocket from Jon Rocket for $7.49 (Retail – $29.95)
- 06/19/2020 – Took pictures of package and components. Scanned instructions, decal and components.
- 06/29/2020 – Measured components and recorded on page 66 of Book #4. Welded engine retainer to aft end of motor mount tube. Filleted motor mount tube/centering ring joints.
- Placed Kevlar cord between centering ring and motor mount tube so it extends toward the forward. Slipped the centering ring 1/2″ from forward end of motor mount tube and filleted the joint. Epoxied the portion of kevlar cord on the aft end of the centering ring.
- 07/01/2020 – Filleted forward inside motor mount tube/centering ring joint. Tied shock cord to kevlar cord. Marked body tube at 18″ and 8″ with fin and launch lug guide lines. Marked length of fine offset on one of the fin lines. Glued smaller diameter body tube 8″ into larger body tube (18″). up to mark. Allowed glue to dry. Glued motor mount assembly into aft end of small body tube so end of tube is flush with end of body tube.
- 07/03/2020 – Airfoiled the fins and glued along fin lines. Cut out and glued fin masks to fins. Glued launch lug 3-1/2′ from aft end of body tube. Glued and screwed screw eye into bulkhead.
- 07/04/2020 – Glued bulkhead assembly int coupler tube. Filleted launch lug/body tube joint.
- 07/05/2020 – Put glue over the screw eye. Glued tube coupler even with top of 3″ long white body tube. Glued coupler tube assembly onto nose cone shoulder and then glued 11/16″ on white body tube over this assembly even with base of nose cone.